Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you say Kaffe Fassett?

How do you say Kaffe Fassett?

How do you pronounce
    Kaffe Fassett?

I have been corrected so many times I'm getting a little paranoid about saying his name out loud.

You've got a "Safe Asset" with Kaffe Fassett! I saw him in Richmond,VA last fall and thoroughly enjoyed he and Brandon Malby's humorous and light hearted presentation. They addressed the proper pronunciation of his name with a funny story.. Here's a link to another interview where he told that same short story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yAcGScZ0I
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I have heard it pronounced "Cayff" (long A). I was at the Lancaster show this weekend and picked up some Kaffe fabric and no one corrected me lol! Fassett exactly like it is spelt.
    I might be wrong who knows-just saw the link.

Blog Entries
    I still tend to make his first name two syllables for some reason. just goes better with the last name that way.

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    I pronounce it "Coffee Faucet"...on purpose! It makes me laugh.
    ~melrose~
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much fabric.

I saw an interview with him on a British program and I thought she pronounced it Kaff ( rhymes with laugh). Maybe I heard it wrong though.
    He has such awesome fabric but I find that I never know what to do with it.

I saw him at a show a few years ago. He was introduced as Cafe Fas set. No one seem to think it was pronounced wrong so that is how I say his name.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would say it the way he says it. Mr Stitchnripper has a name that isn't said like it is spelled. We were in a store once when he used a credit card and the clerk said his name incorrectly. He nicely told her how he pronounced his name. She said "no that isn't right" - he then became annoyed.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    If I ever met the man, I'd certainly try to pronounce his name correctly. even if I think it differently at times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I would say it the way he says it. Mr Stitchnripper has a name that isn't said like it is spelled. We were in a store once when he used a credit card and the clerk said his name incorrectly. He nicely told her how he pronounced his name. She said "no that isn't right" - he then became annoyed.
    Reminds me of something that happened to my daughter. She had an acquaintance who was calling her by the wrong name. When my daughter told her "My name isn't Sue it's Cheryl" the girl replied, "Are you sure?"

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when I heard him speak at Mo.StarQuiltCo in Hamilton a couple years ago he made a point of saying that his name rhymes with Safe Asset.

This is how uninformed I am...I had no idea this was a name....I thought it was just a brand name. Lol!, oh well...I'll remember it now with the Safe Asset help. Crafty has some of his stuff on sale at really good prices if this is your style of fabric.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Thank you. I've tried to find how to pronounce it with no luck. Now I know.

I'm a stickler on names. I have an unusual last name that is frequently misused. A telemarketer once called and repeatedly called me by the wrong name. After correcting him several times I became more insistent and his response was "well my list says your name is ...."

I have a first name that is constantly mispronounced. When I go anywhere that my name goes on a list to be called, I use the name ‘Joe’ and it works for me. I believe the Kaffe is pronounced like Calf.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I have a first name that is constantly mispronounced. When I go anywhere that my name goes on a list to be called, I use the name ‘Joe’ and it works for me. I believe the Kaffe is pronounced like Calf.
    He says it rhymes with Safe Asset. I would go with that
    Alyce

He was on The Quilt Show recently, from a quilting event, Alex asked him how to pronounce his name, he said Kaffe, all one syllable, with a long A. Fassett is with a short "a". Straight from the quilters mouth.

Blog Entries
    For 46 years, no one has ever pronounced my current last name correctly the first time. I worked for one boss for 6 years and he never said it correctly either even after many, many polite corrections. The proper pronunciation of a person's name is deeply personal. If I'm not sure how to say it, I ask.
    “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
    Garrison Keillor

My married name cannot be pronounced as written. Anyone that isn't a relative or friend has no idea how to pronounce it when it is spelled out. I really don't care how anyone pronounces it. Not my problem. I never correct anyone unless they ask if that is the right way to say it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Our last name is not pronounced as it is spelled. I do correct them.

I am a real stickler about getting someone's name correct. I consider it rude to not let them know the way your name should be pronounced.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Interesting, yup I pronounced it wrong. When I have a hard ti.e with someone's name I usually ask if they have a nickname. Makes it easier on me

Funny...when I was fresh out of high school, I went for a job interview and when the owner saw my name..Muriel..she said that reminded her of the Muriel cigar commercials with Edie Adams, so she would just call me Edie, which she did for as long as I worked there!

"I saw an interview with him on a British program and I thought she pronounced it Kaff ( rhymes with laugh). Maybe I heard it wrong though. "
    I was pronouncing it Caffey but now I know!! Funny the brits also pronounce Cafe' (place where you eat) as Caff.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I saw an interview with him on a British program and I thought she pronounced it Kaff ( rhymes with laugh). Maybe I heard it wrong though.
    He has such awesome fabric but I find that I never know what to do with it.
    That's what I've always heard as well.

I would still pronounce it the way he does regardless of how anyone else does. He says it rhymes with Safe Asset so that's what I would do.
    Alyce