Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you shop ebay?? >

how do you shop ebay??

how do you shop ebay??

Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM

You can narrow your search by manufacturer, name of pattern, color etc. I have had really good luck finding what I need on ebay. I wanted to find pinecone fabric for a woodsy quilt. Just typed in "Pinecone Fabric" and found a bunch.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM

describe 100 percent cotton...novelty fabric, retro 70's fabric, scenic fabric, vintage feedsack fabric, use key words to narrow your search
Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

I buy fabric on ebay all the time. Usually I'll start by searching for a specific fabric, perhaps "Lilac fabric" or "Lilacs fabric", or by the name of a fabric I've seen on another site, like "Northcott Stonehenge". I may search by color, such as "emerald green fabric". And then I narrow it to "Quilting" fabric. This gets rid of the non-cotton fabric (usually). If you set your search results screen to display 200 results per page, you can quickly scroll through and see at a glance if it's what you want.

Then there are several large fabric sellers and quilt shops that I've used before and bookmark, and occasionally I'll scroll through their stores to see what's new.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fayza
I don't do much fabric shopping on ebay due to the high shipping prices. I know it costs alot for the sellers to ship but I just think the shipping charges can be crazy :/
Many times the shipping costs are calculated by the ebay software and aren't correct. You can always ask the seller to ship a different method. I prefer Priority Mail, and I know how much fabric will fit in each size envelope/box, and what that price for each size is. The seller will then correct the shipping costs and send you a revised payment request.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 PM

If Ebay is too overwhelming, try http://www.etsy.com. There are no auctions, only fixed price, but there are lots of great fabrics and it just seems to be a friendlier place.

Be sure to select "buy" then "supplies" to find fabric. This website is for handmade items and vintage things, but new supplies for making handmade items are also allowed.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
(just now paid) won bid from seller: quilting*patch

50 pk 2 1/2" charm $1.99
brown jelly roll 2 1/2" $8.99
ship $5.10

will let you know the quality of this seller's items
subsequent order, 100 pk charm 2 1/2 $3.99, ship $2.50

jelly roll: was 2 strips each of 10 fabrics It was a "brown" The fabrics & colors are charming, and not things I would have purchased, so it widens me out, helps me see new fabric combinations

50 pk, arrived with the jelly roll, so they co-ordinated it. there were only 5 pc that would not coordinate. about 5 pc were the same fabric as in the jelly roll. only a couple of duplicate fabrics

100 pk, second order. easily 80% or more will work with the others. went thru it at lunch, did not notice any duplicates.

50 pk & 100 pack were accurate counts.

the cuts are beautifully accurate, only a few pc a few threads je-whoggered. Some fabrics just do that.

PS, I am not the vendor!!!

Some have commented how this ups the price per yard. I agree with that. the 1st order arrived Sat. Later in the day, I cut about 30 2 1/2" strips, it took me 2 hours. That includes some tinkering bits, trying to use certain scrap fabrics.

So, it is a toss-up. If you work full time, it might be worth it to you, considering what an hour of your time is worth.