Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you sort your stash?  By color? By size? >

How do you sort your stash? By color? By size?

How do you sort your stash? By color? By size?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by cad_queen_2000 View Post
You're supposed to sort ? ? ? just kidding. I did manage to ruler fold all of mine. I put them into one of those tall bookcases (by colour). Then ran out of room, so, some of my fabrics are playing in boxes, some are just kind of hanging out in every room, or visiting in my closet, at least until I get my recently purchased bookcase together. Then I can get all my fabrics back together, so they won't feel left out and neglected. I also need to sort thru all my goodies that I purchased and stuck in a drawer someplace. There just never seems to be enough time.
LOL - I was going to make a response but all I had to do is copy yours!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 AM

FQ's are all together. Holidays are all together. Then I sort by color and finally by groups that were purchased together for projects.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 AM

I have my fabric in filing cabinet so as I shop for a pattern I put all of that fabric in a draw by it's self. Right now I have one draw for the Elden and one draw for God's Eye. Then one draw for solids then I sort by color.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 AM

All fabric over 1 yard is on the shelves sorted by color. Fat quarters, scraps and pieces less than a yard are in clear plastic bins which are sorted by kind and color (except for scraps which are labeled "scraps." Jelly rolls and strips are together on the shelf.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
Would love to hear everyone's way of organizing.
Oh my goodness----Well, I start with colour, then bits and pieces, then novelty and end up with --chaos !!!! Then when my storage drawers look a mess I start again to organise.Love Letty
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 AM

All my quilting fabric is ruler folded and put in a drawer by background color, on edge so that you can see what you're looking for, without disturbing the pile. I don't have a lot of seasonal fabrics, but all Christmas fabrics are together.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM

I sort by , type, ( batiks , metalics, regular) then by color, then by size of the piece.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Let me start by saying that when I started to organize my "stash", I put Christmas fabrics together, children's fabric, purples, blues, green, red, etc.; however, when I'm making a quilt, I often look into other totes to get the fabric I want. If I were truly organized I would put them back where they came from, HOWEVER, my good intentions don't always work, so I wind up putting fabrics that didn't make the cut for a quilt, into a tote with asst. fabrics. One of these days, I need to "re-organize" my fabrics again, but my Christmas fabrics will generally stay separated, as well as baby and purple, as they make up the majority of my fabrics.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
Would love to hear everyone's way of organizing.
When I first found Bonnie Hunter, I found my voice. I had some not so wonderful scraps, washed, unwashed, made a choice, got rid of my not so nice, washed. Started over with unwashed quilt shop fabric, my choice, not a comment on what anyone else chooses to do. Then I bought qsq fabrics in all kinds of colors, mostly 1 yard cuts, if I loved them 2, 3 or 4 yds. When each fabric came in the door I cut a 1 1/2" strip, 2" strip, and 2 1/2" strip - started my strip containers. The rest 1/2 yd or so was folded up in type drawers by color. I fell hard for neutrals and ended up with an entire cabinet and several bins of strips and yardage. I am really addicted to fabric and when I started with pillowcases I went hog wild. Have a closet full of pieces for that. So there really is rhyme and reason for my sortings. If I am doing a Bonnie quilt, I just need to go to my containers and pull out my 2" red strips from my colors or 2 1/2" neutrals, whatever I need is already cut and ready. I love it. I am also the unwashed swap hostess over at quiltville swap so I still get lots of variety.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM

I was going to list the separate categories I have for my collections and decided it would take too long and I am not ready to admit that I have so much fabric!
Basically special collections in separate bins; larger cuts by color in bins; scraps awaiting cutting by color in bins; specific precuts of squares, rectangles, etc by Kay (using Bonnie Hunter tips) by color in flat bins. Strips in bins by width, sometimes by light or dark.
HST grouped in plastic bags by size (same with 4 patches) and all HST bags in one bin. Practice blocks; completed blocks, etc in one bin.....regardless of size or color. I do not hesitate to cut up blocks and create something else! Our Detroit Tigers just won the afternoon bb game so I will now go downstairs to sew! It's a win-win situation...