Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store all the small strands? >

How do you store all the small strands?

How do you store all the small strands?

Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 AM

I'm still using the gallon size plastic ice cream containers, they have a lid and just write on the outside what i have in them and stack them , makes it easy to find what i need.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 AM

Everything from salvages, ribbons, lace, etc are stored in the plastic veg/salad containers I ger at Sam's for free with my vegies. The are then stored on a shoe rack on top of my ppull out drawers. I also started putting my cut outs, (ready to piece) pieces in these. One quilt will store in a spinach container.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:29 AM

You mentioned all kinds of sewing odds and ends as well as quilting stuff. I have a canvas type shoe organizer attached by hooks to a closet door that I store all of those findings in. I have a plastic box with lots of sections to store buttons by color.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 AM

I have the box that my Mah Jongg racks came in; long and skinny. When I clean up after cutting, long strips go in there. Some are folded in half if they are too long. When they lay straight like this, they don't get wrinkled. This is what I use to make a "Log Cabin" Freedom quilt. All sizes and colors get added, no need to be the same width, or even square. Start with a really bright small piece and built around that until you get to the size you want. Put those together with sashing, and you have something pretty.

My box is saying it's time to make another one pretty soon.

Other things have their own place. No mixing. The real "strings" - selvage cut-offs - go in a drawer and are used to tie up "stuff": fabric bundles, bag tops, tomato plants, morning glories, etc.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I use to save all the left over strips of stuff. One day I realized I never used them, just saved them so I stuffed all of them in a pillowcase, sewed up the end and gave it to the neighbor for his doghouse. I haven't missed having them at all.
I'm with you. I can barely keep up with all the other xxxx I have, so unless it's something whole like a working zipper or straps from a purchased bag complete with slides or buckles - out it goes.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 AM

I also use clear jars but found the plastic jug from the laundry pods works well and it won't break.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I just toss them in a Xerox cardboard box. I don't keep that many since I never got into making string quilts. I donate most of my smaller pieces to my church group for those who love to make string quilt!!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM

For bindings, I wrap them around cardboard and put in a drawer, for fabric I seperate by color and place in ziplock bags ina lg plastic tub with a lid.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

For fabric strips I use comic book boards. Can get two to six strips on a board, then shelve them like books - roughly by color. Easy to see what I have. For smaller things, cords, ribbons, elastic etc. I use small boards (cut cardboard, cut comic strip boards, cardboard etc.) that will fit in a clear plastic "shoe box". (That is the size of the board is slightly smaller than the end of the box, so I can slip a lot of these in the box parallel to the ends). I have a fair amount of this stuff, so one box for cording, one for elastics and ribbons etc. Labeled on the end and put on shelves. For zippers etc., just kind of dumped into a labeled plastic shoe box.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 AM

I use plastic bins - about shoe box size to hold these small things. One for zippers, snaps, velcro. One for hem tape and bias binding. One for elastic. They stack easily on each other and on shelves. If you use lots of zippers: storing them on shower curtain rings and hang them up on a hook is the way to store them. They're easily accessible and you can quickly see what you have.