Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your hard-copy Patterns?

I seem to have everything else under reasonable control in my sewing room EXCEPT my hard-copy patterns. The result is I often spend as much time looking for a pattern as I do making it.

It's in a box here, a drawer there, or I'm looking for one with a great border, but I can't remember if I filed it in the "easy, fast" box, or the "great color combos," or . . . well, you get the idea.

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I have made a notebook with plastic sleeves that I insert the patterns in and they are always at my easy reach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newquilter10
    I have made a notebook with plastic sleeves that I insert the patterns in and they are always at my easy reach.
    Me too! But I have notebookS!

I use one of those pocket type photo albums that u can get longer sscrews to expand the binding. The pocket pages make it ez to get in n out.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainjane
    Me too! But I have notebookS!
    I have many of the binders with the plastic sleeves. I sort them by style in the binders. Applique, focus fabric, kitchen ideas, baby, tabletops, you get the idea. I started out with an index in the front, but now have so many binders, that each binder has its own category.

I have mine in a 3 ring binder in the sleeves, also. I also put a picture of the quilt that I've completed in the sleeve. I should put where the fabric was purchased and the cost too, but that would just be scarey. Quilts are not cheap.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I have several of these. One with completed quilt pitures. One for ideas that I like and may do one day. One for patterns and one for hints etc.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    I have mine in a 3 ring binder in the sleeves, also. I also put a picture of the quilt that I've completed in the sleeve. I should put where the fabric was purchased and the cost too, but that would just be scarey. Quilts are not cheap.
    I have a journal with pictures of the completed quilts since many that I make are not from an actual pattern. But I like the idea of putting pictures in the sleeves as well.

I use plastic sleeves for mine in notebooks also, but went one step further and divided them up according to category - ie: applique, scrappy, log cabin, baby, purses and totes
    and have several other categories too. it works wonderful, and I have no trouble finding what I want

I keep mine in plastic sleeves and separate notebooks.I have a separate notebook for holiday quiltwork.

I keep mine in a file cabinet sorted by category.

I have a notebook with plastic covers for each pattern.

Blog Entries
    I put cutouts from magazines in 3-ring binders with clear sleeves/pocket protector sheets. My regular patterns are all in a red box. It can't be overlooked in the mess that is my sewing room and keeos them contained.

When I started I had an expanding file. Now I have a file cabinet--put in folder and label the tab. Can usually find what I want fairly quickly this way.

Blog Entries
    I use notebooks and alphabetize them when inserting them in the notebook - I was able to find a notebook that is 4" thick - so lots of room for those patterns!

I too use binders with the plastic sleeves. I also put any templets or notes in the sleeve along with the pattern.

Binders and document sleeves. Then I tab them, baby quilts, table runners, quick gift ideas, etc. Works for me.

First of all, I make a photo copy of all patterns. That way I can make notes on the photo copy without messing up the original pattern. Second, I store them in plastic sleeves in a three ring binder.

Blog Entries
    I store mine in page protectors and binders. The preprinted ones are in file folders currently in those stackable crates.

Blog Entries
    me too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    me too
    I'm up to 2--5" notebooks and need more...they are great and stand up well along the edge of my table/desk and on the shelves all within reach.

I have recently organized mine into 3 ring notebooks with plastic sleeves to contain them. I use the huge ringed one I think 4" or so. I have 3 of them now, need to get some more protector sheets. They hold more, though have found smaller ones and garage sales and use them for some things too.

I use a 3 ring binder and print out all patterns standard 8 1/2" x 11". Then I use my 3-hole punch. I also use dividers that have the little plastic "thingy" to hold the label. I divide the patterns into categories that make sense to me (but maybe not to others). It helps to have an index page at the front listing the patterns included in that particular binder.

I am not as organized as the others but it works for me. I just have a few of the big round tins, like from popcorn and stuff like that. I have them separated into just a couple of catagories. Tablerunners, wallhangings and bed quilts. This seems to work for me. I have WAY to many to put into binders, but that sounds like it would be a nice way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH
    I use a 3 ring binder and print out all patterns standard 8 1/2" x 11". Then I use my 3-hole punch. I also use dividers that have the little plastic "thingy" to hold the label. I divide the patterns into categories that make sense to me (but maybe not to others). It helps to have an index page at the front listing the patterns included in that particular binder.
    Thanks that's a great idea about the index page! Will be adding that soon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast