Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you

http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/

I am a newbie too, and i learned a lot from Missouri star.

Blog Entries
    This is a common way to do it, Eleanor Burns does(or use to do) it this way all the time. There is nothing wrong with it. But to have a more finished looking quilt it is common to make what is known as a sandwich. backing on the bottom, with right side facing out, batting, then the top. smooth the layers out, and baste closely. There are three basic ways to baste, sewing with large stitches, using safety pins(about every three inches, or the newest way, spray basting, the sandwich is basted as you layer with this method. I hope ths helped. If you use the search asking about sandwiching you will probably get a lot more input. Good luck.

quilting is full of easy tricks--some will work for you some you will not like---i learn buy watching it being done-you tube is the best--if you are isolated--put an add in you local paper there are many quiet crafters all over the world----love spray baste+hand baste hate pinning the layers together--i use a 3 inch double fold binding [most use 2 .1/2] then i find out www.pamhollanddesigns.com[check her out from my home town adelaide] also uses 3 inch she also free motion quilts with her feed dogs up---i guess if you learn the rules you then know to break them

http://www.quilt.com/Stores/SouthEast/Virginia.html

Try the above link, you might find some quilt shops in your area.

skydiver70

Mary

I used to do my quilts exactly that way....and tried machine quilting a couple times. Didn't work at all.
    But for tying it works pretty well, and baby quilts. I learned little by little and you will too! For one thing, you have this board! I didn't! I have really learned alot and I haven't even been here that long! Hang in there, try new things and ask questions and watch tutorials...it's a way higher tech world now when it comes to quilting.

Are you within striking distance of either Wythville or Abbington?? - I know there are shops in both places. There is also a Quilt Guild in Abbington.

So far you have gotten some good advice here in this thread. When I started, I assembled my "sandwich" and tied them. Next, I worked on some small Stitch in the Ditch and eventually worked up to free motion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2