Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you use pre-quilted fabric?

For the life of me, I don't get it...if you put a top on it, you would have to quilt through the layers, then you'd just have a mess on the back, right? What do you do with it?

Blog Entries
    Bags, casserole carriers, kitchen items, Christmas tree skirts, stockings, - it depends on the print.

Quick as a flash baby quilts? :)

They have been using pre-quilted fabric here in Japan for many years to make tote bags and floor cushion covers.

Power Poster
    I used some to do tablerunners and placemats in the sew and flip method. When finished, I lifted the white pre-quilted thread and pulled it out until just my flip and sew stitches showed. I put a binding on it and you would never know it was pre-quilted fabric. I had a ton of it to use up and didn't like the look of the pre-quilted on my projects. Sounds crazy? then just use it for potholder, mug rugs and casserole dishes like someone mentioned.

Totes, Diaper bags

My mom's made purses out of it. She makes a knock-off of the Vera Bradley kind and this saves her from having to quilt the material first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts
    My mom's made purses out of it. She makes a knock-off of the Vera Bradley kind and this saves her from having to quilt the material first.
    Ditto here.

OK !! I get it...pre-quilted fabric isn't generally used for quilts! LOL...no wonder I couldn't get it! I t makes sense for bags, totes and pot holders, etc...thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Bags, casserole carriers, kitchen items, Christmas tree skirts, stockings, - it depends on the print.
    Exactly! Pillow shams, bassinet/baby basket sets, picnic blankets. Back with solids or flannels and SITD or tie at intervals (very easy, since the predone quilting is usually a grid- I do it with an isolated deco stitch like a heart, snowflake, leaf, etc. or a hand-stitched sashiko motif. If you want a thick quilt, quilt the top and a sturdy batting like W&N, then add the prequilted backing and tie discreetly. I only used prequilts when I found GORGEOUS batik ones or baby/kid/novelty ones that suit someone. Quick but nice gifts.

I made book covers with it and also snap bags. Of course I used a 50% off coupon since it costs a lot more than unquilted single-sided fabric.

I made some baby quilts with pictures on them (3). They were pre quilted, I hand quilted then - 18 Yrs ago. After I got them all finished I took out all the pre quilting. The pre quilting doesn't hold up, at least that is my experience with it.

I made a lined, hooded jacket.

A lot of our customers used them to make bags and totes! :)

Blog Entries
    Could someone please let me know what patterns are being used for the totes.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a yard of very red with green paisley. I am going to make a project carrier out of it. A friend of mine has one. it has a lot of her embroidery and cross stitch projects in it. Thread, short scissors, needles and threader, thimble and a telescopic magnet if she drops her needle (it's about the size of a pencil).

Blog Entries
    I have used it for embroidered xmas stockings and wall hangings.

I had purchased a couple of prequilted panels before I was really into quilting.
    I trimmed them to just the generous seam allowance around the scalloped edge then tied off the quilting at the seam, turned under the seam allowance and treated the edge like the finish of binding - ie ladder stitch. Then I went back and did fake SID at the printed border which was intended to look like binding.
    I have also used the prequilted fabric for potholders or oven mitts. Although I felt like it was too wimpy after I got them done. Lol.

One of my guilds does soldier stockings every year. We had a bunch of the pre-quilted fabric donated to us and we used it up making stockings.