Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you want the quilt you just made to be used? >

How do you want the quilt you just made to be used?

How do you want the quilt you just made to be used?

Old 06-21-2020, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I don’t make show quilts and love scrappy best. I make a lot of those for our house. Size is determined by how many squares I can get from the batch of fabric and scraps. I have only made two bed size and they are twin bed size for the youngest grandson on his request with specifics. He still has both plus his baby quilt on his bed. He is 12. I have made a lot of baby quilts. Sometimes I have just enough leftover squares or blocks for something small. Then I use it to practice something. Whether a technique or free motion quilting. It becomes a table topper or chair backer on rotation. For our house I make bed toppers. Just enough to cover the beds over a neutral spread. Also on rotation. I also wash and dry all quilts before giving and my note says that it needs no special care and if it gets worn out from use let me know and I’ll make another. The one on the back of the couch is big enough for both of us but we really prefer some fleecy throws we got. Even though I use cotton batting and cotton fabric and don’t do dense quilting the throws are way more snuggly. But that will not deter me from more quilt making.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:24 AM

I have given away quilts that fall into all of the above categories. Some are slightly used couch quilts, others, like the one I made for my son was used until it no longer would hold together. He is my best recipient!
Old 06-22-2020, 01:41 PM

I make all kinds. I love making show quilts because doing the quilting is my favorite part of making a quilt. But I also make utility quilts, baby quilts. bed quilts and snuggle quilts. When I make a quilt for someone else, I just want them to use it however they want to. Some folks will display them, others use them til they fall apart. I'm okay with all of that.

I've made lots of art quilts and show quilts over the years, for entering in quilt shows and displaying at a couple of galleries that show my other art work. These are mostly wall hangings, though some are large enough to be snuggle quilts (bigger than a lap quilt, but smaller than a full size). Folks who have purchased these mostly display them on their walls as art objects.

For me, the fun is in the making of the quilt so I often will just start making a quilt with no idea what category it will fall into until I'm done with it.

I also like to make table toppers and place mats, table protectors etc. with my scraps- these are often my favorites, and they tend to get used mainly by us here at home, though I have also made them for people as Christmas and birthday gifts. At my house they get used til they fall apart.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-22-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:45 PM

Can I ask what a utility quilt is? Is it any "anything goes" kind of quilt?

I've made baby, bed and couch/lap quilts. I stopped making baby quilts as 3/5 people I gave them to were surprisingly unappreciative. I really like lap quilts since they are easier to quilt but I always ask the person if they prefer a lap or bed size quilt. I am okay with them doing anything with them except stuffing them in a closet. I keep their lifestyle in mind when I make quilts - one of my next quilts will be going to a friend with a big dog so I'll make sure it's darker since she likes to run in the dirt. I know my friend loves to cuddle on the couch with her dog so I'll let her know I designed it that way for her. I can always make people another if they wear through them!
Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

In my mind - a "utility quilt" is one that is "not fancy" - and made to be be "used hard" - not abused - but it is okay for it to get dirty enough to need to be washed - and to survive washing intact.

Way back when, it would be made for "the help" - so it would be on the skimpy side for size and made from the less desirable fabrics. Warmth was the purpose.

My Grandma B. made a lot of "utility quilts" - she did use only cotton for the tops - but they were made with speed and a bit of "I have enough of this and enough of that - it only sort of goes together - but it's enough to make a quilt" They were donated. She was told to not make them "too fancy" because then they tended to get stolen.

I consider my couch quilts to be utility quilts.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:00 PM

I primarily make quilts to be used. I've only been quilting for a couple of years, but have made lap size quilts for friends, relatives, and charities. I want people to use them - cuddle up on the couch or in a recliner to watch television or read a good book.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:23 PM

What a fun thread. I make all kinds. Love to use up scraps in scrap quilts. I've been making art quilts, new to me and quite fun. The quilts I've given away have been made to use not abuse. Washable but not real often. My children received a double sided remembrance quilt with scraps of shirts and skirts and blouses. One side was their grandfathers scraps the other side was their grandmothers. They were all so grateful for the memories. My parents were square dancers so I named the quilts The Square Dancers. Took me a long time to complete them but in retrospect worth it.
I always let the new owner of the quilt know how much time went into the creation of it, but I say it with a smile.
I love to see my quilts being used. I like making bed size quilts but again I've made all sizes.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 PM

I'm a utilitarian quilter and proud of it! I enjoy making scrappy quilts and participate in many charm exchanges to obtain a greater variety of fabrics. My favorite size is a "long lap" quilt, 60 x 84 inches, with a "Cuddle" backing. It is long enough to tuck under my chin and wrap under my feet.

I enjoy piecing quilt tops, but I don't really care about the quilting. I just want the layers stick together. Quilt show judges always comment on my "inappropriate" quilting...uneven stitch length, quilting pattern size too big/small for for the size of the pieces in the quilt, but I don't care. To me, its about the pattern and workmanship of the quilt top. I go to quilt shows for design ideas. I like to my enter quilts into my local guild show because they are quilts most quilters could make. To me, that is what makes a quilt show great. Being inspired for my next project.

I don't do the "A-word" (applique) and I don't make art quilts. I can appreciate the beauty of a Baltimore Album, but I don't think a quilt should be encrusted with Swarovski crystals. You can't put it into the washing machine!

I make quilts to use. I wash all of my quilts before giving them away and let the recipient know that if the dog chews off the corner, let me know and I'll fix it. If they wear it out, I'll make them a new one. Quilts are meant to be used and loved. Every time they wrap up in a quilt, it's like I'm giving them a hug.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Most of my quilts are smaller ones made for donation to the hospital and children's shelters locally. I try to make them fun so they will be used. I always hope they will be loved and bring comfort. Lately I've been making some small "crisis" quilts, for policemen to give to children they rescue from bad situations.

For my own family I have made bed quilts and many utility (couch) quilts. All are loved, except by one son who is very hot-natured and can't cover up in a thick quilt. The quilts I've made for my grand babies are laid out on the floor for them to play on.