Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you wash your finished quilt?

Before you give it away. What detergent are you using,also are you putting it in the dryer.
    I'm about to finish a quilt to give away, it seems from the handling it needs a wash also i want it to smell good. How do you handle yours????

I wash mine in the washer on gentle cycle with laundry soap (I use Tide) and then line dry. I put it in the dryer for about 10 minutes to fluff it.

Blog Entries
    I take it to a laundrymat and put it in a large tumbling washer. I use reg. liquid detergent and throw in a color catcher sheet. Then I put it in the dryer.
    I know the people who I give the quilts to are going to be washing them, some more than others, so I want to make sure everything holds up. After washing and drying I check all the seams etc then give to the new owner.
    Just FYI I only make quilts for family and friends.

Blog Entries
    i want to treat it as the giftee might. thus, i wash like the rest of the laundry. that way, if anything is going to fail, i'll know it before giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i want to treat it as the giftee might. thus, i wash like the rest of the laundry. that way, if anything is going to fail, i'll know it before giving it away.
    That's how I do it. But I put in some color catchers. No special treatment because I'm sure the recipients won't give it that either.

Blog Entries
    I throw it in the washer and use cold water gentle cycle then I dry normal. I love the way it looks once washed and yes...I have found areas that needed to be fixed on my first few quilts. I am now very careful and stictch twice in my areas.

I wash mine on the gentle cycle and dry it as usual.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Washer on cold, gentle, with Tide, maybe a color catcher.
    Dryer on regular, but damp-dry cycle.
    Drape over line, furniture, or rack, bed to finish drying.

Jan in VA

In the washer on gental with Tide and Downey, then in the dyer.

Wash in cold, usually with Arm and Hammer Laundry liquid detergent, then dry with a dryer sheet on med-high.

I wash it the same way as I imagine the recipient would (regular cycle, regular tumble dry). I don't use fabric softener, though (on anything, but we're just talking about quilts). I have no scientific basis for this, but I feel like it probably doesn't completely rinse out of the batting, and over time it will cause the fibers to pack down and lose some of their insulation.

And I just plain don't like the feel of softened fabric.

Banned
    I wash in cold water, gentle cycle, machine dry normal. I use Shout brand dye sheets in the wash cycle, since I don't prewash fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I wash it on gentle, warm water, laundry detergent, low heat. :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Regular wash with Era & then the dryer at regular heat. If there are any parts that might fall apart, I want to know about it before I give it to the recipient.

Blog Entries
    I treat mine just like I think the person I give it to will.
    Wash in cold with Cheer clear and free and dry in the dryer. I do use color catchers (I don't prewash fabric). I love the crinkled look.

I wash everything in cold water, but I use my normal detergent and put it through on the gentle cycle. If I'm giving it away, I make sure I put a little note in to let them know to wash it on the gentle cycle. But as we like to conserve energy (or rather my dad doesn't like a high electric bill) I only wash things on sunny days so I can hang them out. I always feel like they have such a better smell when dried outside!

I wash on gentle with color catchers. Then I just dry till almost done, then hang to finish.

Blog Entries
    I toss it in the washer. Wash at cool temp, either hang or dry it in the dryer. My quilt that my mom, grandma and I hand quilted, I fold and put it in the bathtub. Then pretend I am Lucy and walk on it. I don't use it, so it is just to freshen it up. I then put a sheet on my deck and lay it out flat to dry. It is all hand made and with real feedsack fabric, so I try to be gentle with it.

Suz
    I wash my QOVs owing most are going into a hospital setting and should go in as clean as possible. Suz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I take it to a laundrymat and put it in a large tumbling washer. I use reg. liquid detergent and throw in a color catcher sheet. Then I put it in the dryer.
    I know the people who I give the quilts to are going to be washing them, some more than others, so I want to make sure everything holds up. After washing and drying I check all the seams etc then give to the new owner.
    Just FYI I only make quilts for family and friends.
    I do exactly the same thing and have never had a problem. Edie

I wash mine with a couple of towels and detergent in my front loader and dry in dryer. Sometime I will throw in a color catcher. I always use cold water.

I put it in the washer and soak it with reg soap powder, than put it on spin. Fill up the washer with 1 cup of vinegar and let it soak again, than spin. Vinegar sets the color and delutes the suds and doesn't put wear and tear on the quilt. Watch your water color and you will know if it is clean. Soak time is about 30minutes or if I am busy it is when I remember. Never had a problem. 10-20 minutes in the dryer and layed out after to dry.

Blog Entries
    wow-this computer is crazy slow and un-cooperative this morning- didn't mean double posts :thumbdown:

If it is for a baby especially I wash them. I want all the pesitcides and garbage out. I don't prewash fabric.

If it is for an adult and on a bed that will never touch their skin, I don't bother. i like that new look.

I use Orvus soap. You get it at a "farm" store. It is for shampooing horses and such. In a quilt shop it is expensive, but at Farm and Fleet or such, it is not.

Blog Entries
    vinegar setting the color is a (false) old wives tale.
    only acid dyes are set with vinegar-
    acid dyes are not used on cottons.
    the addition of vinegar may freshen the water- but it is an unnecessary expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by suesembroidery
    I put it in the washer and soak it with reg soap powder, than put it on spin. Fill up the washer with 1 cup of vinegar and let it soak again, than spin. Vinegar sets the color and delutes the suds and doesn't put wear and tear on the quilt. Watch your water color and you will know if it is clean. Soak time is about 30minutes or if I am busy it is when I remember. Never had a problem. 10-20 minutes in the dryer and layed out after to dry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast