Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does a binding wear? >

How does a binding wear?

How does a binding wear?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Default How does a binding wear?

I have always made my binding the "traditional" way, fold in half, sew to the front and pull to the back.
I know that some make the backing larger and take the excess to the front to make the binding. Which would wear faster or does it make a difference? Some of my bindings already have worn edges.
Would a flannel binding on a flannel quilt wear better than cotton?
Would love to hear your experience whether one way holds up better than another.
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM

The only issue I could think of with a binding formed from the backing would relate to wear. A quilt gets handled a lot by its edges, and over time, the outside edge of the backing fabric could possibly wear faster than the rest of it, making the repair more difficult.

With a standard French fold type binding which is applied separately, if it wears out, you could either splice a new section into the original or if it was really worn out, you could completely replace it.

That said, the only time I've ever heard of anyone replacing a binding was on a 10-year-old baby quilt that the child was super attached to or on a very old quilt found in a trunk or attic, etc.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 PM

It would wear the same whether you sew to the front first or the back first. The spot that wears is the edge.

As long as your binding is on the bias you should get a good long time before wearing out. That's because there are many different threads criss-crossing along the edge.

The only bindings I've had wear were vintage ones that were cut and stitched straight of grain. When there is only one long thread running along the edge, it wears out.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 PM

I always cut my bindings on the bias, just for the reasons that nanna-up-north stated. I, also, find them much easier to work with. I do make sure I don't stretch them when sewing them to the quilt. I haven't been quilting long enough so that there has been any wear on any I made, so I am just waiting to see what happens.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 PM

Ohhhhh Nanna up North, I never knew that cutting on the bias made it stronger. I always thought the reason you would cut on the bias was that it would go around curves better. Thanks for tip!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

My first quilt had the back folded to the front and sewn down. The edge has worn out in spots but it was flannel. A double fold strip binding seems to wear better than both the folded over binding or a quilt that has been pillow cased. I just put a new binding on my mother's pillow cased lap quilt this year.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

The only quilt that I have that has worn out areas on the binding is my family heirloom that my Great Great Aunt hand pieced and my Great Aunt Maude quilted. She used single fold binding and I haven't figure out what to do. Half of my friends say leave it alone and the other half told me to add new binding on the quilt.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 AM

The only quilt that I replaced the binding on was my Sunbonnet Sue that was started by my GGma when my mom was very young (1920's) GGma finished it just before I was born. All with the 1920's fabric. The binding lasted into my teens. At that time I put it away to keep it from more damage. FF to some time in the 80's. I could not bring myself to remove the binding so I used a good thick muslin to bind over the binding. It looks a little strange but I know what is under the binding.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 AM

I also use the double fold biniding. None of the quilts that I've made have worn out binding yet.