Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to finish old quilt >

How to finish old quilt

How to finish old quilt

Old 02-15-2021, 02:37 AM

Default How to finish old quilt

I have a quilt top that was made by my Great-Grandma and want to finish the quilt.
The blocks are houses. Since it is very old I'm not sure it I should FMQ it on my longarm, which I'm not real good at, hand quilt it or send it out to be quilted. Any opinions on this?? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:17 AM

Of course, I'm a hand quilter so would finish it with hand quilting. Because your great-grandmother made this top, hand quilting would have been her choice or only option for finishing. No long arming at that time. I would finish it as she would have done it. I have quilted several old tops and, as I'm working on that, it's enjoyable to see the fabrics and techniques of the one who made it. I think perhaps that person is smiling as the work is being completed.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Of course, I'm a hand quilter so would finish it with hand quilting. Because your great-grandmother made this top, hand quilting would have been her choice or only option for finishing. No long arming at that time. I would finish it as she would have done it. I have quilted several old tops and, as I'm working on that, it's enjoyable to see the fabrics and techniques of the one who made it. I think perhaps that person is smiling as the work is being completed.
I completely agree (another hand quilter here). Do you have a picture of it? House quilts are so cute.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:48 AM

I am not a hand quilter, myself...it takes so long and my eyes and fingers just could not take it. I'd have to seek out help with getting it done...a quilting bee, or a pro hand quilter, etc. However, I do think that hand quilting is the appropriate way to go. Any kind of machine quilting would just look wrong on an old quilt like that. Good luck with your project!
Old 02-15-2021, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I have to disagree. Hand quilting would certainly be nice, but machine quilting is a perfectly good option. I've machine quilted several vintage tops on my longarm. I don't know your great-grandmother's age, but chances are that sewing machines were being used for quilting when she made that top. I think she would have been pleased to see the quilt finished and loved, no matter how it's done.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Dunster. Machine quilting would secure the blocks and make them stronger.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 AM

I would hazard that the reason it was not finished was the labor of hand quilting. Your grandmother would want it done and used more than anything. If that means machine or even longarm - go for it.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:35 AM

If it were mine, I would hand quilt it but it is your quilt and it will be lovely whatever you decide. I am a fan of hand quilting and am part of a group that meets every week.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 AM

Without seeing what the quilt top looks like, it is hard to give good advice.

I inherited 2 quilt tops from my grandmother’s aunt and I’m sure my Mom wanted me to hand quilt them(although she really didn’t like either of them). So they sat with my other UFOs for 15 years. I just finished one of them with machine quilting. My reasoning was that, even though is was hand-pieced, this quilt was definitely a “utility” quilt made from scraps of shirts and if she had been alive today, this is the kind of quilt that my great-great aunt would have machine quilted. Now it is actually a quilt that can be used ( as soon as I wash it).

The reasoning with respect to finishing your quilt may be very different.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:39 PM

I've machine quilted several vintage quilts without problem. And in a couple of cases, the hand stitching had such long stitches that it was weak, and the machine quilting helped hold it all together.