Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to get your spirals all the same.. >

how to get your spirals all the same..

how to get your spirals all the same..

Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 PM

Default how to get your spirals all the same..

I'm quilting my horse panel quilt and was wondering how many get all the spirals the same size on a quilt.. i am not real good at FMQ but wanted to do something more then just stippling all over. so I tried doing some spirals around the panel and after I looked at the quilt they are not all the same and they are kind of in a row so you can see some are smaller.. do you think this matters?

also when FMQ and you go around a circle or spiral, do they look smooth? I am having trouble getting them to look nice and smooth and round, I guess as I keep at it, they will look better.. maybe I am just picking it apart to much.. I had to take a break and so went to the pictures to see how others quilted there quilts for some ideas, boy there are some really beautiful on the forum.Guess i'll go back to the machine, just needed some one to talk to.. I'll post a picture when it is done.. Thanks
Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Smooth circles or meandering is difficult. I find feathers or a design that allows for different size parts and resting spots easier. If you are trying to get your spirals all spaced correctly and the same size you may need to mark them. My favourite marking method is white chalk since if done lightly, it brushes off. You might try putting some round stickers to go around?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Don't worry, you are most definitely not alone! Marking helps, even if you just mark registration lines. Some people use their hopping foot as a gauge for the spacing of the spiral within each circle. The only quilter I know of who seems to make perfect spirals every time is Diane Gaudynski. Hers are just beautiful. She emphasizes to envision the shape before you quilt. I have not had much luck with that so I just do the best I can. Many times, if you see perfectly spaced and proportioned spirals in quilting it is either computer guided or template guided.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:02 AM

It's a practice thing to a large degree. Like feline fanatic said, the really perfect ones are either done by people who have been doing it a very LONG time, or there's some sort of assistance (templates, marking, computer guided...)

Apparently I'm the opposite of Tartan - I find meanders to be pretty easy and feathers to be rather difficult! It really varies from person to person. I used to draw doodles all the time that was essentially tight meanders, so that quilting "pattern" comes very naturally to me. My feathers, on the other hand, still come out looking like mutant corn cobs! *sigh*

Marking helps a LOT, even if you just mark off areas to help keep your focus. I like to give myself "lanes" to "drive" my pattern through. That helps me keep my sizes consistent and make sure I don't leave big open spaces unquilted by accident, and also makes it so I don't have to decide where to go next as I'm working.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:46 PM

Are you working on your DM? On my LA I will sometimes set a coin of the size I want next to the quilt area to remind me of size--mine tend to get tinier when I'm tired so taking a break is good, too. To keep from "row"when you spiral out keep following the outer edge at random spots to start your next spiral. Also, you can travel in different areas if you spiral in-out and then switch next one to an out-in formation.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 PM

Muscle memory helps a LOT. If you practice and practice and practice and practice and practice and practice, your muscles get "brainwashed" (hysterical term for muscles) and it becomes second nature.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:09 AM

I prefer for my spirals to be of all sizes. I can fill in spaces with small ones and make large ones to fill larger areas. I use a longarm and spiral away with whatever size seems to be next.