• How to hand quilt ? >
  • How to hand quilt ?

• How to hand quilt ?

Old 09-24-2017, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

I've hand quilted for many years.
    I use a very small needle- size 10 or 12
    Quilting thread
    I use a hoop and leather thimble but you really have to see what works for you. It takes a bit of practice, like anything else. The reason I like a hoop is that it makes the fabric layers taut and you can decrease the tension as needed.
    I bet Youtube has some tutorials on it. Among other things you'll learn how to bury the knot. It's really nice for the colder weather too so you can curl up in it as you work. And for me it's soooo relaxing!

Hope this helps
    Old 09-24-2017, 05:12 AM
    Power Poster

I haven't "big stitched" yet but I want to do one. Faintly Artistic has a really cute one!

And yes! You can QAYG - might be a good way to start. Georgia Bonesteel introduced that method many years ago. You may find her books at the library. I don't know if they're still in print.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 09-24-2017 at 05:18 AM.
    Old 09-24-2017, 05:23 AM

I love machine piecing and hand quilting. It takes awhile to find out what works for you. I have a Hinterberg round hoop on a stand which I like because it frees up both hands. It also turns in all directions which is a big plus. They do not make it anymore but you could check eBay or Craig's list. As for thimbles - I use the Clover thimble which has pink silicone sides and a metal bottom on my right middle finger and a red rubber cot made for FMQ on my thumb. On my left underneath thumb, I tape (with painters tape) a quarter with about 1/4" sticking out beyond the backside of my thumb. I got that idea from an article by Ginny Beyer and it allows me to make small stitches. I use a 9 John James gold tipped quilt needle and Superior Threads #30 Treasure, which is coated quilting thread. I have tried the smaller quilting needles and they don't work for me. Good luck. Takes practice but looks beautiful. BTW, I use either Quilters Dream Request or their wool, which I LOVE but costs more.
    Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 AM
    Power Poster

I do most of my quilts by machine, domestic, not long arm. But, I do also hand quilt. I did one last year and I am piecing a Saturday Sampler now that I will hand quilt. I took a class but mostly it is practice. I do enjoy having a project going and I only do ones with no deadlines so I can do it when I want to. I use a big round hoop. I tried no hoop, a hoop on a stand and a square one. Turns out I like the big round one. I played around with thimbles and found one I like. So there are no rules and just find your rhythm.
    Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 AM

You have the right idea, starting with a low-investment project. It takes a while (I think for most people) to get hand quilting stitches looking good, so it isn't a good idea to start with something important.

I have arthritic hands, and I was not able to hand quilt using the traditional rocking stitch; I couldn't do the finger bending and wrist movement involved. Then fortunately, I discovered Liuxin Newman's book, 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain.' She also did not have good results with the traditional rocking stitch, and pricking the underneath finger was a problem for her. So she developed her own method, which uses a different sort of thimble, sold under the name Thimblelady, which is open ended and worn down on the finger rather than at the tip. Her method eliminates the need to bend the fingers or move the wrist, so I'm now able to quilt without any stress on the hands. If you have trouble with the traditional stitch, you might want to look at her book (I found it used on Amazon).

I quilt in a 12" hoop, with the hoop propped on the table in front of me, and chairs to each side taking the weight of the quilt. The table keeps the hoop at a good angle for me.
    Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM

I like the quarter idea, will have to try that.
    Just a suggestion to make a small table mat or runner instead of a pot holder for your first experiment. Just that little bit bigger will give you more to hold onto. Q snap frames are also used for other types of needlework. Sometimes you can find them at craft stores where you can use coupons so they won't be an expensive investment if you don't like them.
    Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Oh, absolutely! I always piece by machine and 90% quilt by hand. And QAYG? Yes, my whole Jane Stickle for one. So nice to do in the evening while relaxing.

And I always "stab-stitch". Never did learn, or care about doing the rocker method.That's just me!
    Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 AM

I have read about and viewed a variety of methods. I have come to realize that I hand quilt better without a hoop. My worst mistake was trying to quilt on warm and natural - learned that the batting really matters. Presently working on a wall hanging using wool-batting which quilts like a dream. It takes time and practice but is relaxing for me. Enjoy!
    Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by osewme
    Alex Anderson uses quilting thread where others use Perle cotton. I am seeing that just like in all phases of quilting, there are so many different ways/supplies/techniques to hand quilting. I'm thinking about starting out with very little investment & with a very small project (like a pot holder) to see if I think it is something that I might explore further.
    Locally, we have had a well known hand quilter visit our group. She prefers YLI hand quilting thread in a shade of white.
    Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM

I machine stitch and hand quilt. I do the rocker method and I use a hoop. I agree, start with a table runner rather then a pot holder. I tried QAYG but didn't like it. I would like to try big stitch quilting sometime in the future.