Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts? >

How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts?

How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 PM

I have sewn clothes since I was a kid -- 40 years, self taught -- and I used to use vintage patterns all the time. Tips from others, like using a dress form, are all right on. My tip would be, especially when you're starting out with clothing, don't take any short cuts. Even when a step seems redundant or unnecessary, if the directions say to do it, do it. My mom didn't teach me how to sew, but she handed me a pattern and said, if you can read, you can sew.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:12 PM

I made clothes before quilts. I have found that the skills I have learned making quilts has greatly enhanced my ability to make clothes. I am now much more precise with my dressmaking. My advice is "go for it". You will get a lot of satifaction from making your own clothes.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Hello, I do both machine quilt and sew anything from weddings to my clothes. It is much harder to sew clothes. I started out with Simplicity and still use them, they are easy to understand and to sew.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
For awhile now I've been really, really wanting to make myself a vintage 50's style dress. I found a couple patterns on eBay for a good price and bought them. The only thing I've made besides quilts is an apron. That was easy enough but it was just two panels and some pockets. Oh, I made all our Christmas stockings last year too. :) I'm assuming it's much more difficult to make clothing, but it can't be impossible, can it? Everything I've done thus far is self taught so I know how to learn, I'm just wondering if I'm totally jumping in over my head.

Anyone have any advice or direction for me, other than to tell me I ought to save myself the trouble and just go buy a dress. :)
first let me say that I've been making clothes for over 30 years, quilting is new for me not clothing. enough said.
Now that you know where I stand, the first thing you need to do is take your body measurements, there are more then bust, waist, hips and lenghten involoved here. If you don't kow all the measurements you need then email me and I will send you something to explain all of them. Now, once you have the three basic (bust, waist & hip) you can look at the back of the pattern to see which size pattern you need, IT WILL NOT COROSPOND with the size clothes you buy at the store and in most cases it will be a size larger or two. Again, these patterns are made for model so your correct size will most likely fit into two differant sizes so you need to buy a pattern that fits to your biggest part, usally hips or breast. Then the smaller parts can be reworked to fit as they should. I know this all sounds hard but it's not. Once you do this and get the idea of how it's done, it's a piece of cake for future projects.
Now as far as the sewing, THROW THE DIRECTIONS AWAY!!!! they are the most confussing part of this whole process. the only help they have ever been to me is the pictures, which show where each part fits togather. Now take each piece of the pattern and look at where it goes on the dress you are making, visualize where it goes, if you do quilting then this should be easy for you. Once you get it all figured out in your head, it's a matter of common sence as to how to sew it togather.
If you really need help with a part, just email me and I will walk you through it. my email: [email protected]
Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

start with easy patterns. Like see&sew. Get used to curves and making seams lie flat, matching stripes, plaids, and naps of fabrics. Don't start with something too difficult or you'll get frustrated. My daughter tried to start with a t=shirt, and she said she'd never sew again after she messed up the sleeves. Got them in backwards.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Personally, to me, making quilts is harder. I learned to sew when I was 12 ( a very long time ago) and I love to sew and I love to quilt, but to me quilting is more time consuming and there is more to remember to do so the quilt comes out ok. The only advice I could give you is to be sure to read your pattern very carefully. Kind of like the measure twice cut once idea. You'll do fine.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:04 PM

JMO after 52 years of sewing, I find some things are a must! 1. Select a pattern suitable for your level, beginner, intermediate, etc. I suggest an Easy to Sew one using your bust measure to decide which one to purchase. Choose fabric that is not "slicky". After it is cut out, follow each step, whether you understand why or not, DO NOT SKIP A STEP (emphasis only) Can you tell I'm self taught? Good Luck and go for it! Silvia
Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Bev

[quote: I saw another poster suggest the same thing my mom just did, and that was to use an old bed sheet first. More time involved but I won't waste my good fabric ...

I would rather use inexpensive muslin. The cheapest kind. It's a lot easier to work with.
To add my two cents worth ... I have always found that pattern sizes run much smaller than purchased clothing, so you really DO have to go by measurements alone. I also have a lot more trouble sewing than quilting, especially if it involves some tricky stuff. I'd start with a shift type dress or shorts, pedal pushers, or a very simple top. But the truth is that a whole lot of people sew their own clothes, some are not all that smart, they just learn how to do it. It's not brain surgery.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 PM

Good for you! I have been sewing since I was 10 and in 4-H. Best advice is to start with something simple. Use cotton or a poly-cotton blend in a all-over print or solid not stripes or plaid. Make a simple top without buttons, pull-over or hook and eye. Make pjs or a nightgown. Sew something for your kids. Each project will get easier. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 PM

I taught 4-H Sewing for 20 years. (Been sewing for 55 or so years. You may find that one of the most forgiving fabrics is actually wool. Start with a simple skirt or top pattern. I agree with Dyer804 100% An elastic waist skirt is a good starter project. Good luck on your endeaver. I am sure if you can quilt to can make a garment!!