Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts? >

How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts?

How hard is it to sew clothes compared with making quilts?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:01 PM

I used to love to sew clothes when I was young and THIN. Especially pretty summer dresses. I dont anymore because I cant seem to fit over the bumps and lumps that werent there before lol. I am not good at fitting. I still make children's clothes because they only need adjustment for waist/arm/lenth which is simple.

Margie
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
I make complicated quilts. Keep that in mind when I tell you that making clothing is much easier. Simple quilts (not a lot of bias or points to match up) are easier than garments, though.

More things to keep in mind:

Beware that some garment fabric is difficult to work with, such as one with a nap (velvet, faux suede, corduroy, etc.); it has a mind of its own; "repeat" prints, stripes, plaids should probably be avoided.

If you are a complete novice to garment sewing, there's a thousand things can go wrong. And I'm not sure where to seek advice before you get started, other than a good book and, even so, it won't keep you from all the initial pitfalls. Start simply & inexpensively and take your time. Don't remove your pattern pieces until you are ready to sew those garment pieces together and, most importantly, follow the pattern directions step by step. Having made just about every error possible over the years, I became experienced enough to know where and how I could deviate from the order of instruction, but for a beginner, that is a recipe for disaster.

Also, I like my seam allowances overcast (I have a serger for that).

Lastly, sorry if I'm repeating other responses to your question; I haven't read the whole thread yet.
You done good with the explainin! :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 PM

I made all my kids cloths when they were little even sports coats. I found sewing for myself a little more difficult, My boobs seem top be misplaced! The 5/8 seam after quilting is a hard one to get used to. I used to love to sew my own cloths. This last summer my 7 year old grand daughter made shorts and a top and they were so cute but elastic waist was the key to fitting properly. Try it and have fun!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM

[quote=virtualbernie

You done good with the explainin! :thumbup:[/quote]

Thanks! I needed to hear that because I often think my advice given on this QB is a bit over-the-top and I should just keep it to myself. I worry about coming across as a pushy broad but I am not.

But in for a penny, in for a pound ...

I did forget to ask:
Rachel, did you read any of your pattern instructions and, if so, were they clear at all?? And also, to clarify, one of the fabrics I mentioned to avoid I called "repeats" when I really meant directional ... you'd be surprised how you can end up with a garment with everything on the right side going up and everything on the left side going down or vice versa ... veerrry bad thing! I too think you will do fine sewing clothing ... I think anyone who can make complex quilts can certainly make clothes. If you do get into making clothes and like it, you'll love making clothes for your kids.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think the "bigness" of patterns varies from line to line.
I agree - my daughter who is 5'2" and 110 pounds had to buy a size 10 pattern to fit her! She usually wears a 6 in store bought clothes. Sewing clothes isn't hard, just takes a different skill set than quilts. Oh, and lots of patience and a good seam ripper. If you are unsure, try making the whole thing out of cheap muslin. You can then learn and make size adjustments where needed.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

I sewed clothes for a long time before I ever got into quilting. IMO quilting is easier.

You've gotten lots of great advice, so I won't beat a dead horse. One thing I had to really get used to is the different seam allowances- 1/4" seems really tiny compared to 5/8".

I would advise using some type of cotton fabric for your first garments, you're used to that. Also if you have a serger or overcast stitch on your machine, it's useful to go around the edges of your pieces to prevent fraying later on. They do make fray check but it's rather pricey and won't last too long. It can also help in not having your pieces stretch out of shape too much.

And garment sewing is a definite "pre-wash your fabric"! You might like the look that shrinkage gives in a quilt, but I guarantee after you've spent time sewing clothing it's not so great when it doesn't fit! Ask me how I know this.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I have sewn a few clothes (not very successfully) in my day and can wholeheartedly say that quilting is easier. There are very involved quilt-top techniques so they may be on par with some of the clothing embellishments, but for construction - quilting is the way to go.

That said, I am actually planning to take some lessons with my new machine and make some garments (no, not wearable quilt art). I just need to find a pattern where I can square up the crotch or fussy cut the sleeves....lol

Thinking HSTs for a bikini.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:13 PM

if you are using an older pattern, the sizes then are different from the sizes now. Be sure and measure yourself, then measure the pattern pieces, especially across the bust, waist and hips. If your fabric is very special, make a sample one from an old sheet, muslin, etc. to get the fit.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
For awhile now I've been really, really wanting to make myself a vintage 50's style dress. I found a couple patterns on eBay for a good price and bought them. The only thing I've made besides quilts is an apron. That was easy enough but it was just two panels and some pockets. Oh, I made all our Christmas stockings last year too. :) I'm assuming it's much more difficult to make clothing, but it can't be impossible, can it? Everything I've done thus far is self taught so I know how to learn, I'm just wondering if I'm totally jumping in over my head.

Anyone have any advice or direction for me, other than to tell me I ought to save myself the trouble and just go buy a dress. :)
You've gotten some great advice. I used to sew more of my clothes but stopped sewing them as much as it became harder to find the materials I liked [when the local Hancock's closed.]

Now that I have grown in size I would definitely make a trial run with muslin as I did when I made prom dresses for my daughter and her friends. No way was I going to cut into expensive fabric that would leave holes where I sewed and then need to make adjustments.

Of course if you are unused to sewing you could make a really tiny pattern - like for doll clothes and do the steps and then see how it works and make your notes on the instructions.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
I did forget to ask:
Rachel, did you read any of your pattern instructions and, if so, were they clear at all?? And also, to clarify, one of the fabrics I mentioned to avoid I called "repeats" when I really meant directional ... you'd be surprised how you can end up with a garment with everything on the right side going up and everything on the left side going down or vice versa ... veerrry bad thing! I too think you will do fine sewing clothing ... I think anyone who can make complex quilts can certainly make clothes. If you do get into making clothes and like it, you'll love making clothes for your kids.
The listing on eBay didn't have any of the instructions for me to read. It'll be several days, if not a week, before I get the patterns so I won't be able to read through them until then.

I went ahead and decided to try my hand at a little pillowcase dress for my daughter tonight. It's coming along nicely. I've got everything but the hem at the bottom done. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I finish it. :)