Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How important are solids to your quilt? >

How important are solids to your quilt?

How important are solids to your quilt?

Old 08-13-2021, 01:49 AM

Default How important are solids to your quilt?

Just opened a site from Quilting Twins where they have a "looks like burlap" half yard pack on sale and it made me wonder how many solids besides Kona white and snow do I have. Not many... maybe a pink and a little aqua. Would I really use it if I bought it this morning? Do you add solids into your quilt here and there?
Old 08-13-2021, 02:19 AM

I use very little solids but I love Moda grunge and have a nice selection of colors in my stash.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:20 AM

I don't use solids that much, but I love blenders and have quite a few colors of Quilters Linen (Benartex?) and Dimples in my stash.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:54 AM

I don't have a lot of true solids, but it is just because I don't have them in my stash and like so many, I am trying to use what is on hand. I do use a lot of fabrics that "read" solid, very small print of white on white and some times very fine dots.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:06 AM

I don't have a stash - just buy for projects. And like WMUTeach, I tend not to use true solids, I will use tone on tone or other fabrics that 'read' solid if the quilt calls for something 'solid'.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:26 AM

I use solids, mostly Northcott Colorworks all the time. Mostly white, ecru, snow, oyster. I have a habit of scrappy and pick up fat quarter bundles of collections. To me the eye needs a place to rest with alot of prints. I do like blenders as long as they are not directional.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:57 AM

I have never used a true solid in a quilt. Like the others have stated, I use blenders and such that "read" as solid. It's just a personal preference with me.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I don't use many solids either. I use white, off white etc as backgrounds quite a bit though.

I made a quilt from one of Charisma's patterns for one of my sons that is all bold solids. Just didn't thrill me but he loves it.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:05 AM

As with many quilters, I mostly use "reads as solids" nowadays.

Still, there is a crispness to solids that I rather like. I went through an "almost Amish" period and used a lot of solids for a number of years. Here's one, the background is actually "midnight purple" and there is at least one purple piece in each striped half. Having problems finding the actual picture, so I think you have to be logged in to see this:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...14-621637.html

This year I'm hoping to use my box of solids for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery. If there is a good choice for a consistent fabric, I might use a print for that to bring in the colors I will be using.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:11 AM

I use a lot of solids in different quilts. It could be the type of quilts I am working on at the time. I think this happens in blocks that are samplers more often than not. My sister recently came of and raided my stash, of course it was a blessing, and took a good number of solids for a quilt she was working on. I use a lot of black solids.