Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to label a quilt >

how to label a quilt

how to label a quilt

Old 05-18-2024, 06:14 AM

Default how to label a quilt

I want to gift a quilt that I made before my name changed. It was not labeled at the time it was made. Would you suggest I label it with my name at the time it was made, hyphenate it with the present name, or simply use my present name? I can use suggestions, please.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Whenever I label a quilt I use both my last names. It's just a habit with me. I never liked the idea of surrendering the name I was born with! So that's probably why I do it.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

If the people receiving your gift knew you by your previous name, I would include it and your current name on the label. Otherwise, just include your current name.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:44 PM

I use my first name, my maiden name and my current last name. I've done a lot of genealogical and historical work and having more info helps future generations know who the person who made the quilt was.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:00 PM

Here, here,cashs_mom! The more info the better. We seldom consider that our lowly quilt be need to be researched and recognized 100 years from now, but the truth is quilters of the past felt the same way as we do now and bless those who left identifying information on the edge of their quilt. That little bit of information is all we have to honor them and their work. Same applies to you and your work, illinois.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:04 PM

I rarely label my quilts, and that is something I should definitely change. Name wise when I got married (49 years ago) I couldn't wait to change my last name. At the time 99.9% of people mispronounced it, and I was made fun of constantly for my name. Once married, I didn't give my new name much thought. That was until my kids started complaining that they were being made fun of because of their name. Change the first letter, and it becomes something younger kids find humor saying. I think my labels going forward will have both names on them.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:52 AM

I like your idea of using a hyphen with both names.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:36 PM

Here's the glitch. I made the quilt while married to my first husband but now use the name I gained by remarriage. Puts a different spin on things! Using my maiden name wouldn't be a problem. But how do I handle the thing of the two different last names?
Old 05-20-2024, 02:07 AM

I was born with one last name, married, changed my last name, divorced and remarried, so yet another last name, he passed away and now I'm remarried again (when will I learn???). But was married the longest to the one who passed away, so I use that last name with a hyphen to my current last name. Confusing isnt it?