Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to cut each border strip?  formulae? >

How long to cut each border strip? formulae?

How long to cut each border strip? formulae?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3w5npghs4V8

That's how I join my ends when binding.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Flyboy Jim View Post
Binding seems just like another border, with the same inherent problems discussed in this thread. But in the videos I've watched about binding, it is just sewed on, starting somewhere along one side and sewing around the quilt. Wouldn't doing it that way subject it to the same bunching problems that have been discussed here about borders?
For the most part, no, because binding is the last thing added to a quilt and is so narrow. Not much room to get in trouble with it. However, if you pull a little too much on the binding as you sew it on, you can get gathers. Been there, done that, we have jackets for that club.

Originally Posted by Flyboy Jim View Post
PS: In the opening picture in the article, is she using her sewing machine backwards?
Kinda looks that way, doesn't it? The credit at the bottom of the photo says Getty Images, which tells me it's probably a stock photo and they used a set designer, photographer, model, editor, etc who all are unfamiliar with sewing & quilting. I'm just amazed they actually used a picture that is undergoing the process of the topic of conversation - binding. Usually they show a completely finished quilt.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I may be mistaken, but I got the impression the OP was asking how to do a mitered corner with multiple borders when one sews all the border strips together and then attaches the border strip set to the quilt. If that is the case, here is a tutorial that might help.

https://fabricbias.com/2014/02/25/tu...ers-made-easy/