Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do companies leave up their Free Patterns? >

How long do companies leave up their Free Patterns?

How long do companies leave up their Free Patterns?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM

Today I found a great cat fabric (notes from the cat) made by In the Beginning fabric company, while I was trying to find it for less money I ended up at the manufactur's web site (I've never been there before). When I just had to look at their free patterns. And they have a Splendid Quilt, I may just HAVE TO make. http://www.inthebeginningfabrics.com/freepatterns.htm It's called Wintergraphix and the copyright is 2008. Now I'd just print the pattern out, but I don't have a printer and it's Adobe Reader Format, so I can't seem to SAVE IT. Anyone care to guess how long it will be there? (or tell me what other options I have?)
Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 PM

I run Windows 98 and even though we've tried a printer that said it would work on 98, Lexmark told us it was a typo on the box (that is when we couldn't get the printer to install). So while I'd love to have a printer....

I tried to go to edit copy all. And then into a Word Document, it wouldn't paste, is there another program I should paste into?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM

I got it! There is a silly little "floppy disk" icon, and that's the way it eventually allowed me to save. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM

Another way to save the file - go to your link, and right-click on the link. You should get the option "Save target As..."
Tell it where to save on your computer, and you are in business.

Before !@%#$^# Vista would accept my printer, I had to e-mail myself files, go to my local library, and open and print them there.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 PM

You could go to your local library and print it out there. Ours is 10 cents a sheet. :D
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM

Moonpi ~
Another way to save the file - go to your link, and right-click on the link. You should get the option "Save target As..."
Do you mean at the top of Explorer, the link in the address line? When I right click I only get the move, copy, paste, stuff, must be stupid Win 98.

As least I have this one saved, I've never had this much trouble before... As for printouts, currently I swivel the computer screen around to face the sewing machine. Works ok... Except when someone else is using the computer, and I sew to the wrong side of the triangle (yesterday) rippit, rippit....
Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Moonpi ~
Do you mean at the top of Explorer, the link in the address line? When I right click I only get the move, copy, paste, stuff, must be stupid Win 98.

As least I have this one saved, I've never had this much trouble before... As for printouts, currently I swivel the computer screen around to face the sewing machine. Works ok... Except when someone else is using the computer, and I sew to the wrong side of the triangle (yesterday) rippit, rippit....
first ... try looking in a thrift store or pawn shop for a printer that will work with windows 98. i'm very surprised you can't find a new one that will work, but i guess that's another sign of the times. :roll:

second ... to save a file from a web site to your computer, follow Moonpi's instructions. the "link" she refers to is the link you would click if you wanted to open the file to view online.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Thank you Patrice and Moonpi, I see now, I checked and that does work. I'm glad to as that seems to be a much easier way! :D
Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

Sorry to say that Windows 98 is no longer supported by any hardware or software manufacturers so you won't find a new anything that will work with it. You had trouble saving the file only because it is a PDF format and the "rules" are different. The floppy icon is the easiest way, but you can also use 'File, Save As' on the menu. You can't copy and paste PDF files. At least you can save most of them these days, used to be they wouldn't let you do that at all.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Oh the File Save As wasn't avail., not sure why the icon was there and worked if the Save As wouldn't...

I do understand it, copyrights and all. It's original work, etc. It's not that I want to sell it or anything. I just want to make it later when I have less on my plate (and more money to spare) and don't want them to delete it while I'm working on it, and then I'm stuck with a half finished project. Thanks to everyone that I now have it saved. :D