Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Long Do You Keep Your Fabric? >

How Long Do You Keep Your Fabric?

How Long Do You Keep Your Fabric?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 PM

I think as long as the fabric is out of the sun and light it will last for many years..Sun and light does damage fabric..
Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM

I agree with you. But if there's no quilting in heaven, I'm not going!!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 AM

I store my fabric in the big rubbermaid totes too. Like Cathe, I'm always in there and they are not sealed tight so I'm not too worried. I finally tried to quit buying so much fabric and start using what I have. haha..partially due to my husband saying "Honey, are you ever going to use the fabric you have". So I figured, I'd try to use a lot of it up then go buy lots more. :)
Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by jan22
I agree with you. But if there's no quilting in heaven, I'm not going!!
With the beauty and creativity that go into quilts and quilting, I am certain that as each person passes the Pearly Gates, St. Peter will be handing them a small felt package. Once opened they will discover it is a needle case, with lots of different sized needles and pins. There will also be a swatch of fabric and a roll of magic thread that never twists, breaks, and is whatever color we need it to be. Once we get inside we get to play with the ultimate fabric stash - Gods! :thumbup:
~Tiffany
Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 AM

Tiffany...ever thought of being a writer? Your description of St. Peter's felt gift and how heaven is going to be makes me want to stand in line so I"m the first one through the gates! :wink:

Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Tiffany...ever thought of being a writer? Your description of St. Peter's felt gift and how heaven is going to be makes me want to stand in line so I"m the first one through the gates! :wink:
You are very sweet!!!
~Tiffany
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 AM

Yes :!: :!: :!: What Tiffany said. :-) :-) :-) Pam W.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Well, some fabrics I keep 9 yards long, some others just a fat quarter long. It depends on what I have planned for it.

Seriously, people go around looking for depression era feed sack material for their quilts. That is like 80 years old.

Myself, I don't see the attraction, but that's just me. If it ain't made by Robert Kaufman or Michael Miller, it usually doesn't interest me too much.

Take a piece of questioned material. Try ripping on the diagonal. If you can do that, don't use it for something you want to keep.

tim in san jose"

Tim you are hilarious! I was thinking of the same answer! Some of my stash is on bolts, some folded, some in the FQ box! LOL

But you are such a GUY! We won't think you are a girly man for expanding your tastes in fabric to Moda, Hoffman, Timeless Treasures, etc!!!

NEVER NEVER throw away stash! Unless it is moldy or stained beyond washing - keep it or donate it!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM

I agree - never, never throw away your stash!

For those who have long pieces of fabric, you can pick up the actual bolts from various fabric and quilt stores. Just go in and ask for the empties, which are usually thrown away. I did that with our local Joann's and the gal was thrilled to give me 10 bolts to wrap my fabric around. I use them for the quilts I'm working on and they work fabulous!!!
~Tiffany
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101

Tim you are hilarious! I was thinking of the same answer! Some of my stash is on bolts, some folded, some in the FQ box! LOL

But you are such a GUY! We won't think you are a girly man for expanding your tastes in fabric to Moda, Hoffman, Timeless Treasures, etc!!!

NEVER NEVER throw away stash! Unless it is moldy or stained beyond washing - keep it or donate it!
moda is OK, their marbled fabric has it's place, and hoffman fills in around the outrageous kaufmann. I haven't seen much timeless treasure I would use. If you looked at my 'stash', you would wonder why all the kona solids..... you'll see.

and no, I am not a girly man. If you ever met me, you would understand.

*grunts for effect, scratches butt for emphasis*

tim in san jose