Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do your rotary cutters last? >

How long do your rotary cutters last?

How long do your rotary cutters last?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Yes, you can buy a sharpener for rotary blades. And it works too. :)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM

they seem forever. One thing I read is we hold our blades on an angle. If you turn the blade over when it gets dull, you have a new blade.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM

I like to keep the old (dull, not nicked) blades for when I have to cut synthetics ( I do a lot of dressmaking and alterations), batting, paper, plastic, etc. and just use my good new blades for cotton. If you are careful with them, they really do last quite a while.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I am really hard on blades as well. Though the last one has lasted for a bit. I am not sure what I do to them, sometimes with in the first 5 minutes it has a nick in it. I really should get a sharpener for them. I keep using them until they are really frustrating and then I open a new one. Out shopping once I found the fiskar ones on for $2. I bought lots.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM

I have had trouble nicking my blades too, so I bought a sharpener from Hancocks or someplace. It seems to work pretty well.

But what I have learned from the books and magazines I read, you should change to a new blade every time you start a new quilt. And they also suggest that you only cut 4 layers of fabric at most each time. This will keep you from having wobbly cuts at the fold.

One day someone will invent a titanium blade that never dulls or chips, but until then...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

They will never do that because then we wouldn't have to buy any more than 1 or two if you have more than one rotary cutter. I have 3 right now. I like different ones for different things. I keep a dull one for the kids to do scrapbooking with and I have a two handed and a right handed one. I am a bad girl and cut the end off of the fabric with my left hand.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Not a bad girl at all! Quite smart! I hate to turn the mat, so I think I"ll try it. In case I don't respond for a while, it's cuz I sliced off my fingers. Sara
Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM

I'm a graphic designer and have used X-Acto blades forever. You have to change those constantly. I've been changing my rotary blades with each new project. If they're not cutting, I change them. Good idea about flipping them. I will try that before I go broke buying blades! :lol:
Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

for most it is considered bad form. I hate turning things around and for the most part I am ambedextrious (spelling?) Anyway, I use both hands almost evenly though it is a predominate right hand society so I mostly write with my right. Except on windows which is easier with my left. It is harder for those who don't use their left for much. Though sewing and quilting you tend to use both. I found the blades are getting cheeper especially if you buy them in multi packs. try and keep your fingers out of the way. I wouldn't want to do first aid or get blood on the quilt unless that is the look you are going for
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM

I have horrid dreams of slicing myself with the rotary cutter! I've worked with cutters all my life. Once cut my backside with an X-Acto that was resting on a drafting table. I still have the scar! :oops: