Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does the blade last.. >

How long does the blade last..

How long does the blade last..

Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Sometimes taking it out, cleaning out the fluff, turning it over and putting a drop of sewing machine oil on it makes it last a little longer. Also, try cutting through several layers of aluminmu foil - it seems to sharpen the blade.

IMHO Olfa blades last longest - but they're the most expensive.

www.lpsharp.com has good deals on line. And you can send in used blades & get a discount on new ones. They have Olfa & others. There's an interesting discussion about whether or not Olfa blades are worth the extra expense. I also buy blades with JoAnn's and Michael's coupons.
I have tried the aluminum foil thing and it seems to work for a while. Just tear off at least 12 inches and fold it a few times and then cut with the cutter on your cutting board.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM

This is what I have bought and use and I have not had to replace a Blade in 6 years and counting..I 'm pretty sure I bought mine at Hobby Lobby
way back then..Hope this helps all of you Quilter's..
Here is the site that you can see what it is..

http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl...t/010507_a.asp
Old 08-15-2009, 04:36 PM

One thing I read somewhere is to use the same brand of blades as what your mat is. I know when I use my Fiskars blades on an Omnigrid mat they dull really fast. So now I have different cutters that I use at home and at my sewing group. The Olfa blades don't seem to dull very fast on the Omnigrid mat.

I got a Martelli cutter and blade in May at a quilt show and it's not showing any signs of dulling yet. They said their blades should last at least a year! We'll see.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pickles
This is what I have bought and use and I have not had to replace a Blade in 6 years and counting..I 'm pretty sure I bought mine at Hobby Lobby
way back then..Hope this helps all of you Quilter's..
Here is the site that you can see what it is..

http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl...t/010507_a.asp
You're right - which reminds me that I need to get new emery boards for mine - that's why I haven't been using it!Does anyone know if/where I can find them? Or maybe I'll just have to buy a new sharpener.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
One thing I read somewhere is to use the same brand of blades as what your mat is. I know when I use my Fiskars blades on an Omnigrid mat they dull really fast. So now I have different cutters that I use at home and at my sewing group. The Olfa blades don't seem to dull very fast on the Omnigrid mat.

I got a Martelli cutter and blade in May at a quilt show and it's not showing any signs of dulling yet. They said their blades should last at least a year! We'll see.
That's the cutter and blades that I have. They do last a long time, however I put a new blade in in January and I just changed it today. I cut out about 8 quilts worth from it. One of them flannel. I have olfa blades that I bought on e-bay. The Martelli guy said not to use them in their cutters so at Road to California show in January I bought a package of 50 blades and split them with the 4 others of us with the same cutter.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 PM

JoanneS I think you could just buy some sand paper like the types that is on the sharpner and take a hobby knife and cut out some to fit and
glue them on , thats what I will do when I need to replace the sandpaper on mine..
Old 08-16-2009, 04:17 AM

Interesting. I bought 60 new blades from ebay--and when I noticed they were dulling quickly, I checked to see how I had the blade in and I had the washer thing backwards. What a difference it made to switch it!! :oops:

I've read on here different thoughts on the sharpeners, but maybe the ones that didn't work were a different brand that this one? I might try it. I generally use blades a long time--until I'm frustrated with skipped threads.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 AM

what way does the washer go in? I wouldn't think that would make a difference!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 AM

the last LQS that i went to, the owner was giving the sharpeners away because he couldn't sell them. i tried it and no luck either. might have been the blade, might have been the brand of sharpener. i threw it out. nothing more frustrating than a tool that doesn't work well.

the blades on ebay are so cheap, i don't really feel i'm getting a bad deal. anyone interested, look for a dealer called j. nockles. i don't remember the name of his online/brick and mortar store.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I like Fiskars mats and use it for most of my rotary cutting, the company stands behind their product 100% and will replace any product. Olfa does not. The Gingher rotary blades are the very best you can buy. I don't rotary cut as much anymore now that I have the Accucut Go die machine so the blade I'm using now is over a year old.