Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many borders is too many? (minor MM mystery quilt spoilers)) >

How many borders is too many? (minor MM mystery quilt spoilers))

How many borders is too many? (minor MM mystery quilt spoilers))

Old 01-10-2020, 06:57 PM

Default How many borders is too many? (minor MM mystery quilt spoilers))

Warning: This question contains very, minor spoilers for this year's Merry Mayhem Mystery quilt (just part of the border and some measurements)

I did the Merry Mayhem Mystery quilt this year and loved the pattern, however I'm now stumped on what to do with the borders. The original instructions end up with a border like this:

Name:  Merry Mayhem spoiler snip.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  8.5 KB

The purple is 3 inches and the green is 6 inches; the blocks were 9 inches. There were also instructions that if one wanted to make the smallest size a little bigger (for a QoV, for instance), a small 3rd border could be added.

I really liked how the 3rd border worked out on someone else's quilt so I added a 1 1/2 inch as the innermost border on my quilt, then the regular 3 inch border, but I don't think the 3 inch and 6 inch borders in my fabrics look very good directly next to each other. I was thinking of adding another 1 1/2 border of the same fabric as the first one in between the other two, but I don't see that being done in a lot of quilts and worried 4 borders would be too many. I did find one example from APQS Texas that is similar to what I think it would end up looking like:

apqs-texas-example-quilt.jpg

The only difference is that my 1-A and 2-A would both be 1 1/2 inches. Would this look strange? The 1-A in the example picture is technically not a border, but sashing for the main part of the quilt. Is there a hard-and-fast rule of thumb about how many borders a quilt should have?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-11-2020 at 04:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 PM

Vadalia before sewing on the borders cut the 2-A strip and lay it out to see if you like it. That is how I did mine.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
Vadalia before sewing on the borders cut the 2-A strip and lay it out to see if you like it. That is how I did mine.
Good call, I did it and decided I didn't like the 2-A border. I'm now sowing B & C directly next to each other and it turns out they don't look actually look too bad next to one another. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2020, 08:57 PM

Some quilts are all borders. Some have five or six. Do whatever trips your trigger.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

The last picture is beautiful. No fast and hard rules, just do whatever you like.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:42 AM

I agree with Jingle. Beautiful.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Some quilts are all borders. Some have five or six. Do whatever trips your trigger.
I just had to google "all border quilt" and the results are quite neat
Old 01-12-2020, 02:19 PM

That bottom picture is from a cute free pattern from APQS Texas called "Trucks in the Daisy Patch"

https://www.apqs.com/free-quilt-patt...e-daisy-patch/

I just happened upon it while googling for "4 border quilts" but it is adorable (I prefer the flowers & hearts version but there's also a toy trucks & stars option as well)