Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many don't  join swaps and why >

How many don't join swaps and why

How many don't join swaps and why

Old 02-11-2010, 05:27 AM

I was reading the newsletter for 2 years!! then Chele's doll quilt page is what sucked me in, :lol: i have been doing the DQ swaps since July when I finally joined the forum. From there I ventured in doing some block swaps and fabric swaps. I have become a regular at my local fabric store but I also buy at Hobby lobby and Joanns, I try to purchase from the clearance when possible, finances. Everyone here has been great, only a few disapointments but not bad enough to stop me. I cannot stay away from this site and joining these swaps. This board and its members have really inspired and encouraged me to dive into my quilting. I even got my very first sewing machine.

I am going to start to limit my joining only because I have SO many things here at home that I would like to finish for my family and myself.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 AM

I think swaps sound like fun...but I do not participate. I am always afraid that I would be that person who forgets, or that time gets away from, and I would end up disappointing other people.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 AM

I dont because all the ones i have seen seem to require washing the fabric first. 2 things I dont like about washing:
1. most important reason is my daughter has sensitive skin. I can only use certain detergent or she turns into a big strawberry. Her skin is even more fair than mine.

2. I never wash. I like the feel of new fabric. The only time I wssh is when I'm done .
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 AM

I have not done any swaps on the board, but it sounds like everyone is having great results, i did one in a guild and the blocks were horrible, i even got one scorched lol. I think i would like to do one with trading fabric as a starter, a small amount tho, possibly work up to blocks. I guess what is holding me back is having to make 12 blocks a month, if i am going to make that many i might as well put them together and have a quilt. but it does look, sound like fun.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 AM

I got burned on another forum, so chose just to enjoy the forum and see other people's beautiful quilts.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 AM

I know how everyone feels. I thought the same thing (I am not that good) but I love the friendship of this board. There are people on here that has been quilting for years ,and looking at some of their work. OH LORDY.. I could never do in a million years. But they are so nice and helpful. I really don't think they would mind if it was'nt perfect. They had to start somewhere to.
I joined the spring swap( scared to death mine would not be good enough) but no matter what I would get back, I am putting them all together and labeling each persons name on that block and making me something speial with it, because it will be special to me. Everyone that quilts loves it, so that means every block is full of love. Works for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 AM

I did a swap years ago. I'm like others...I don't want to send something that others will not like. Now, I just don't have time. I have two jobs that I do from home. That leaves me very little time to participate in swaps. The one I did years ago was fun, though!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 AM

I have been in two swaps. One with 18" blocks and the other with 8" blocks. Funny part is that everyone came through with the 81 8" blocks and only 2 of us did the 18". Trouble with the 8" is there were a couple of the ladies that didn't understand that 8" was finished size, so there was no 1/4" seam allowance on their blocks. I ended up squaring all of the blocks to 8" and putting them together with sashing. It worked ok, but would have been better the right size.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 AM

I don't join swaps because of pre washing fabric. I like to work with new fabric. The only swaps I join are on my pp group. Joyce Ann
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM

hi everyone.. I have joined for the first time in a swap. I am enjoying it tremendously as it gives me a reason to look for patterns. I have done Jan and Feb and both have been posted. (I feel sooo good about myself). Waiting patiently for my March block's partner. I am currently doing only one block a month.

By the way I always wash my fabric before cutting.... that is what the teacher told me to do a looong time ago.... Shall have to remember not to wash any new fabric I buy. Enjoy your swapping. have a great time. ciao