Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many FW's are there?!

Blog Entries
    Just have to ask....every day someone is delighted to have found another Featherweight or 2 or 3! :D :-D :-D And I'm happy for you.

How many were made, I wonder, and are they still being made? Do they multiply? Or are you guys just passing them around? Seems like if they are not still in production, Mr. Singer is missing out on a hot market!

Happy Easter everyone! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Singer has put back out a "Featherweight" but from what I have heard it is NOT the same quality as the old ones - as for how many are out there I have no clue - but would love to hear the answer

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong someone, that there were approx. 10,000 made. However, I don't know if that counts the ones made in UK, the white and tan ones.

Edit: I was wrong, the fee arm ones were over 9,000 made so the regular models had to be more than that. Who knows!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I think they stopped making them in 1968 or so, not exactly sure.
    Have no idea how many were made but it does seem like we're scooping them all up! :D:D
    I now have 3, 2 blacks and 1 white :D:D

Blog Entries
    here is a link to the dating page - LOTS were made

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/dating.html

Go here and browse for the model 221. Just a quick statistic.
    Feb 9, 1947 20,00---Nov22, 1946 20,000---Oct 25, 1946 10,000 (221-1)----Sept 16, 1946 20,000

There were lots of FW made in the 'day' that we all want. Here is the site http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html

Wow Sharon, you had the same idea as I did!!!

I'm dreaming about having one. But money is too tight and people seem to think they are gold in MN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Just have to ask....every day someone is delighted to have found another Featherweight or 2 or 3! :D :-D :-D And I'm happy for you.

How many were made, I wonder, and are they still being made? Do they multiply? Or are you guys just passing them around? Seems like if they are not still in production, Mr. Singer is missing out on a hot market!

Happy Easter everyone! :thumbup:
    On the day that mine was made, they made 20,000 of them...just that one day. Mine was made about 3/4's of the way through the day, based on it's serial number! :)

Seems to me there were a ton of them and there is no shortage of them. It has been a thing of one person gets one and another says I want one too which has kept the price very good. They are cute.

I am hoping to find a British FW cousin to add to my little group while I'm in Ireland/England next month. DH says I bet they are here...no, I want one from over there.

Blog Entries
    I have the white (really called celery green) FW. It's so cute everyone in a class has to stop and pet it. I'm giving it to my granddaughter, she loves it. I like sewing on the 301, the FW's grandmother!

Blog Entries
    I have a black one but would love to get a white one or a Centennial model :). I know that 1 is really all one 'needs' but they are so cute and purr like kittens!! I would also like to find a 301 :)

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    On the day that mine was made, they made 20,000 of them...just that one day. Mine was made about 3/4's of the way through the day, based on it's serial number! :)
    Wow! That's a lot! I had no idea that many featherweights were produced. I have a beautiful black fw and my little pink machine. All I need is a white one and my collection will be complete. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I am hoping to find a British FW cousin to add to my little group while I'm in Ireland/England next month. DH says I bet they are here...no, I want one from over there.
    Be aware you will need a converter to use it here in the states. Check it out.:)

I have a converter for my grandmother's Bernina from England. The thing's a brick! Fun to set it all up and get to sewing, though, knowing its history. :D

So delighted to have finally gotten my first Featherweight!

I've had my for about 30 years (sitting in the closet the last 10) but is now out and ready to do. After all this time, I found out mine is a Centineal.

When you date your machine, the Singer site gives you a precise date and how many machines, but it does not mean that they were all made on that exact day, it means that they comissioned that many to be made for that period of time starting on the date given.

I was doing a little checking on the master serial number pages. The 221 began production in 1933. Through to the beginning of 1940, there were serial numbers allotted for manufacturing the 221 to the tune of 250,000. Just because the list says there were "20,000 made on June 5" only means they allocated that many serial numbers to that plant. It doesn't mean they were all made on that day. It may take a plant a few months to make that many machines. Based on that quantity in just 7 years, and the fact that they produced these jewels thru 1968, I would guess that several million Featherweights were built. I do not understand why these machines are so expensive, considering there were approx. 4 million made and the fact these machines are so durable and long lasting. However, I love my Featherweights and use them all the time.

I hope I find one!

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking
    I hope I find one!
    me too---want one so badly, but money is too tight what with hubby being out of work for 2 years now.

Where do you find the serial number on the machine?

Blog Entries
    What a interesting topic and so informative, and very nice to know, because i am one of those not familiar. Thank you for the sites.

I think there is still emough for all of us to get another one!!! I have 7 right now. A couple of them are all taken apart for me to get busy and get them repainted.

Blog Entries
    Wow Beth!!! Please post some pics to show us your babies!

I have two......one my mother got for her high school graduation in 1942 and a light green one I bought the day I got my first job out of hairdressing school in 1964. The price on the green one brand new was $120.00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast