Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Have Been on a Quilting Cruise?

Blog Entries
    I have been on a cruise but wasn't a quilting cruise.

It sure would be fun!

Karen "Craftybear"

It's a dream of mine also.

Gal
    I have not been on any cruises, can't imagine I would ever have the money but the American Orient Express sounds fabulous so when I win Lotto..........
    Gal

I decided quite a while ago to hang up my travelling boots. A quilt cruise though, might be able to get me interested, trouble is, I would find it incredibly difficult to justify the expense. I am frugal to the point of being labelled "mad" by my offspring.

The other day I googled "quilting cruises" and saw quite a few - one was to China but it was 3200 pp do - AND if hubby went, well ----------- no way could THAT fit into ANY budget. A cruise to Alaska sounds like a wonderful time! I alway wanted to see Alaska - This is justified by "killing 2 birds with one stone?"

I googled "quilting cruises" and did not find the one I was looking for, nor one this year. As I have been on a cruise in the western Gulf of Mexico, if the cruise went there, I'd just stay on board and SEW! Silvia

My quilting buddy and I went on a Kaye Wood quilting cruise. We never had so much fun on vacation before or since. The cruise was on Princess, western Carribean, with stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Princess' own island, and Jamaica. We did the tourist things, seeing the sights, and shopping; we also learned Snippets. We all ate dinnner together each night, then played till we went to our cabins to sleep. What a great time we had; I would do it again if my buddy could get off work.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I wish there was a american orient express one. I love trains and wouldn't that be fun to travel the country, stop, be driven to a quilt shop have a day class and off you go again. I would be in heaven.
    I agree about the cruises being more fun to just sight see. I can't imagine fitting a class into all the fun of a trip like that. I am too exausted from all the fun!
    Red Garnet, there actually is an american Orient Express, here is the link. It is really exprensive. More than any cruise I have been on. I would love to go too, but just too pricey for what you get.http://american-orient-express-train.com/

Also their is a cruise to the Mexican Riviera that is funishing Janome machines. Many do furnish your machines, it is a way for them to promote their product. Lots of sites out their on quilt cruises.

Yes I do know about the tour trains. But, as of yet I don't think there is a quilting themed one. Please... Let me know if there is one! I am a great fan of the U.S. and how fun it would be to experiance two of my loves together.

:thumbup:

If you've never been on a cruise before I wouldn't make my frist one a quilting cruise. There is so much to do and see on a ship that I think you miss out on quite a lot. And definitely go with an establised quilt-cruise teacher. And, if you're going to Alaska on the inner passage, I agree with the other person...you will miss all of the beautiful scenery!!!

If you've never been on a cruise before I wouldn't make my frist one a quilting cruise. There is so much to do and see on a ship that I think you miss out on quite a lot. And definitely go with an establised quilt-cruise teacher. And, if you're going to Alaska on the inner passage, I agree with the other person...you will miss all of the beautiful scenery!!!

I've never been on a cruise and I think it would be great fun. Heaven knows I love to quilt but I think I'd most enjoy doing them seperate. I'm afraid I'd be totally torn between the two. I wouldn't want to put the quilting down but couldn't stand the thought that I might be missing out on the cruise sights and activities either.

Blog Entries
    I would not like to go on a quilting cruise. I would miss all the sites and fun. I would rather go to a retreat to quilt and fun,fun on a cruise. lol Jolo

Found it! Cruise I had seen a few weeks back. Not affiliated. Fons and Porter Love of Quilting Cruise Dec 3-10 2010. Pricey and must be paid by September. I'm planning to go. Need roommate. I'm 68 yrs old, Christian, non smoker, non drinker, white female. Silvia

Found it! Cruise I had seen a few weeks back. Not affiliated. Fons and Porter Love of Quilting Cruise Dec 3-10 2010. Pricey and must be paid by September. I'm planning to go. Need roommate. I'm 68 yrs old, Christian, non smoker, non drinker, white female. Silvia

I know some people who have gone and I would love to - I think as with all trips you need to do some homework and really know what is offered and it can be great fun.

I have been one two quilt cruises. One with a LQS which was fun. And another with Deb Roberts' Tours our of California. The first one we took our machines and made a quilt with log cabins and fans. You were free to come and go if you wanted to do something. The second one we hand pieced with a teacher from Austrailia, then appliqued with a teacher from Texas, whom I knew.
    I am going with Deb Roberts again in late September on a 14 day cruise to Hawaii. We will have 3 teachers, one each day while at sea, with one day a sea to do whatever. That is going and returning.
    Stitchinheaven does do good cruises. I have not been on one with them, but I know Debbie Lutrell who owns the shop and tour company. In fact 8 of us were just at
    Stitchin heaven's bunkhouse for a 4 day retreat. Go crusisig if you can.

For those of you who want to do the "fun" things, you can. Quilting is "at sea". However, the one in Dec has sewing rooms "open" 24/7, so you can choose what you want to do. The Dec cruise stops at Aruba - "I ain't agoing there!" I'll stay on board and sew. JMO. Silvia

I went on my first cruise, a quilting cruise with a friend in February 5 years ago. Are final opinion...ee decided although we love to quilt- when we are spending days at sea we want to be lying by the pool drinking maragaritas, not stuck in some windowlessclassroom! We skipped alot of the classes. Now we cruise when we want to cruise and do a quilting retreat when we want to quilt!

I have seen them advertized a couple of times. Would love to go on one. I have only been on one cruise and loved it. So a quilting cruise???? Wow

I've been on a cruise and loved it. A quilting cruise is a dream trip for me. Hopefully someday!

A friend from our guild when on an Alaskan quilting cruise organized by www.sewmanyplaces.com last year. She had a great time. At least I got to "see" it through the presentation she did for us at a guild meeting. She had lots of quilting time, machines provided (sorry, don't know the brand), but still had lots of time for seeing scenery and shopping at LQS while in port.

Quote Originally Posted by suzeq
    For those of you who want to do the "fun" things, you can. Quilting is "at sea". However, the one in Dec has sewing rooms "open" 24/7, so you can choose what you want to do. The Dec cruise stops at Aruba - "I ain't agoing there!" I'll stay on board and sew. JMO. Silvia
    Suzeq, You should really see Aruba, one of the prettiest little island towns you will go to. It is a wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by vburr
    I went on my first cruise, a quilting cruise with a friend in February 5 years ago. Are final opinion...ee decided although we love to quilt- when we are spending days at sea we want to be lying by the pool drinking maragaritas, not stuck in some windowlessclassroom! We skipped alot of the classes. Now we cruise when we want to cruise and do a quilting retreat when we want to quilt!
    I agree, I would have done the same thing.

If you want a beautiful setting to quilt in, I choose a great retreat, where the quilters can use the work rooms even after class. You make great friends, because people come to the rooms in their sweats and PJs and quilt and talk most of the night. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by suzeq
    ooh! I will have to check that out! I MAY be contacting you!

This has been my dream for somtime, also. On the top of my bucket list. Would probably take some time to save for this. I was very interested to read the other quilters experiences. I'll certainly do some intense research before I make real plans. Do not want to spend that kind of money to sit in a disco room!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast