Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many hours have you struggled with someone else's quilt top? >

How many hours have you struggled with someone else's quilt top?

How many hours have you struggled with someone else's quilt top?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 AM

I've "fixed" 3 from my great grandmothers. Let's say those ladies were not quilters. I used the fusible interfacing trick. I zig zagged over a couple of seams with invisible thread. I starched things until it became cardboard. And in the end, I just let some things be puffy, wonky, and weird.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:59 AM

My mother in law made one quilt years ago never quilted. So after 2 years of her asking me to quilt it I caved. She's a wonderful seamstress and drapery maker. And to be her first quilt it really was pretty good. It came with the layers basted together, I cant put that on the frame! When I measured the quilt, it was wonky, wavy borders. Laying it on the floor I could tell that the blocks were going to be a chore, alot of them had easing and some had stretching. She had given me the left over fabrics. So with that I took off her borders and squared up the quilt. Her backing was 1" bigger than the top, so again with the scraps I made it larger. It turned out pretty good, she's happy with it. She is currently redecorating her spare bedroom to accomodate this quilt. My payment...when she dies I get the quilt. Well worth the time and effort we both put into the quilt. Its a Jenny Beyer original from early 90's.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 AM

It sounds like we all have had similar stories. I also had a family member give me a quilt to finish. It was found in a trunk of things left by her mother. The quilt had been made from old shirts and was a pretty design but , oh my!! It was so out of square and even wavy that I had a terrible time trying to finish it. I'll never do another quilt from someone else. I've learned my lesson!!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I arrived at guild meeting 3 years ago and meet a lady coming across the parking lot that I did not know. I greeted her and found out she was there merely to find someone to help her finish her deceased mother's GFG quilt. So I looked at it briefly, gave her my name and contact info, and told her I'd take the quilt home, exam it thoroughly and let her know what had to be done, how much I'd charge. I have never heard from her again and lost her number!! The guild continues to meet in the same location, there is a church secretary there every day, each guild president knows this story and still she seems to have made no effort to find us again.

It makes me sick that I still have her family quilt but I have no idea who she is and can not do anything with it until I hear from her someday. It's in the way in my studio, wish I knew what to do!

Jan in VA
Maybe she died and her family is still wondering what happened to that quilt?!!