Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: how many jelly rolls to make king size quilt

how many jelly rolls to make king size quilt

I have been asked to make a king size log cabin quilt using a 12 inch block.. She picked out fabric that is a jelly roll from MSQC..Does anyone know how many jelly rolls I will need to buy for a king sized quilt?
    Has anyone made a log cabin quilt out of a jelly roll? Thanks
    Last edited by quiltlady1941; 09-06-2018 at 09:08 PM.

https://jordanfabrics.com/pages/stri...-cabin-pattern
    I like this tutorial. She has a YouTube video for it too. She uses one jelly roll for a 3x4 layout of 14.5” unfinished blocks. For a king size, I would do 8x8 for 112” square, which would be 6 jelly rolls, with quite a bit left over. Then you can use the extra strips for a scrappy binding.

Blog Entries
    12 blocks you need 100 blocks ( 10 across, 10 down) to make a king size quilt.
    if starting with a 2 1/2 square in the middle of each block you can get 16 starting squares from on 2 1/2 x 40 strip.
    There is a lot of math to do to figure jelly roll needs. I would use a piece of graph paper ( or just sketch out your block) with the measurements for each strip ( remember seam allowance) then see how many of each strip length you can get out of each jelly roll strip, then you can figure out how many strips you will need for 100 blocks.

I just did the block- math. Using 2 1/2 Center. - first add 2 1/2 x 2 ; 4 1/2 x2, 6 1/2 x 2, 8 1/2 x2, 10 1/2 x w, 12 1/2 x 2 completes one block
    you would need 288 2 1/2 strips. So, depends on how many fabrics are in the jelly roll bundles.
    if there are 40 strips per roll you would need 7.2 ( you will have pieces left over to use so probably only need 7)
    if there are more than 40 strips divide 288 by the number in the roll and that tells you how many rolls you need
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

The above would be correct, unless you are wanting the blocks all matching (no mixing and matching patterns for the longest string in the block).

Does that make sense?

Oh My!! 7.2 jelly rolls at 35.95 each would be about 270.00 dollars and then the backing and the boarders and the batting ///this will really run into a lot of money.. I think I am going to have to look into something else ...like yardage..on sale!! Thanks everyone..

I only buy jelly rolls when they are on sale and most of the time there is yardage to go along that I will also pick up. I made a king size log cabin years ago but I am pretty sure that I didn't use 7 or 8 jelly rolls. Is there any way that you can do a search to try and find the fabric that is wanted maybe you can find it somewhere that there is no limit on how many you can purchase or as I said you can pick up the yardage as well. Good luck!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!