Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many machine bind their quilts? >

How many machine bind their quilts?

How many machine bind their quilts?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM

I machine bind all of my quilts. I stitch my binding to the back, flip it to the front and pick a fancy stitch. I've never yet had anyone complain that the binding was not hand stitched. My quilts get a lot of use, are washed frequently and machine binding can take the wear and tear.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 PM

We have never hand sewn anything on our quilts. Our hope is that our quilts will get a lot of use, and we think the machine sewn bindings are more durable.

We are much better now than we were, and in general are pretty happy with how the bindings look when we're finished. There are a ton of tutorials on youtube and we have watched several of them. Some of them have more steps than others and I suppose they would be necessary if you wanted to enter a quilt in a show. You can always practice on potholders or doll quilts before you commit to a larger quilt. Try with a decorative stitch and with a straight stitch also. Let us know what you decide.

Darren
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM

I machine bind all the quilts I have made. I attach the folded binding to the front and stitch in the ditch. Nearly all my quilts are utility quilts, washed often and the bindings do hold up. However, if you are putting your quilt on exhibition, the quilt police require that the binding be attached by hand on the back! So it is a personal choice and if it easier for you, then go for it!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Jim

I always put my bindings on by machine always have. 5 hand surgeries prevent otherwise. AND they look very nice!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 AM

I machine bind mine as well, with a decorative stitch. They look nice I think.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 AM

I always machine bind my quilts and they look very neat.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 AM

I just spent 8 hours yesterday binding by hand two reversible bed runners. I usually don't have the time but I'm 'on vacation' spending two weeks in florida with my family, so there I was, sitting on the lanai, sipping sun tea like a grand old southern lady, stitching away. The time taken to hand bind made a world of difference in the finished product. These bed runners are a birthday gift for my mom's 87th tomorrow. Sun tea, anyone?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 AM
Swap Hosts

I do my bindings half and half. I sew it onto the backhand stitch the front. Binding is never fun, but the more I do, the more I like it and I guess I like it more because I'm getting better at it!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 AM

I machine bind most of my quilts, especially if they are for a child or daily use. I don't think they look bad at all. I sew the binding on the back instead of the front and then wrap it over and stitch it down using a straight stitch. Looks great on the front and not bad on the back. It works for me!!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61 View Post
I have done machine binding when I was on a time crunch too. Make a little practise sandwich and try a few different stitches to see what look you like. When I did mine I sewed the binding from the back first so that I was putting the decorative stitch on the top side and this let me have a little more control over the placement of the stitch (less critical on the backside). Good luck.
I agree. This is how I do it. If you are going to put your quilt in a show, I wouldn't recommend it. Judges don't like it at all. But if they are for gifts or for your own use, go ahead and do it. My Babylock has losts of decorative stitches and I always find something I lilke that seems to go with the quilt. It's your quilt and you can do anything you want with it.