Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Machines Do You Have/Use? >

How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Default How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

I found a really old thread on this from 2011 so I thought it was time for an update! Family members, in particular my father, are having trouble believing that many people that aren't professional quilters have more than 1 or 2 machines. I insist (while on the verge of buying my third antique machine) that plenty of quilters/sewers have numerous machines! I understand that those that collect antique machines are likely to have more so I want to hear from those with more recent/new machines as well! Of the ones you have, how many do you use?

I have 2 right now (listed in signature). The FW I use a lot, the Kenmore more for finishing larger projects. But as I take on more things, I'll probably be bouncing between them more evenly because I'll have them calibrated for specific tasks.

For me, I'm finding that collecting machines is becoming a hobby within a hobby.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 PM

I only have one.....but if I had the space and money? The sky's the limit!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I have at least half a dozen vintage machines in storage, but use only 2 machines -- my Bernina 1230 for sewing (so old it is practically a vintage machine too), and my Voyager 17 set up for frame quilting (a machine that is no longer made).

I used to have almost a dozen vintage machines in cabinets, when I was collecting vintage machines, but sold those off when I realized that all I did with them was dust them off periodically! The vintage machines I still have are all "portable". Will pass my white Featherweight on to my daughter eventually, along with the hand crank machine she preferred learning on. Have a small vintage Bernina I will keep as backup if my computerized Bernina ever fails. The others I will sell once we move to an area that has a population density that supports placing an ad in a local paper once in awhile.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 PM

I have four but only use two. I have Janome set up for quilting and my 1975 kenmore for piecing. I can swivel my chair from one to other.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 PM

I have about 30 and use them ALL. I rotate them. If I don't use one in a year, I sell it. That opens a slot for a new one:>
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 PM

30!!! And people think I am weird because I have 7. I guess my Kenmore is old enough to be called vintage but I bought it new so it is just the senior of the group. My granddaughter is using one and she thinks it is hers. I have a Brother Sew/ embroidery combo, a Brother 1500, a Brother 9500, of course the Kenmore, an old Necchi and a serger. And my toy from when I was a child that decorates my sewing room.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:02 PM

I have two Berninas, a 150 QE and a 1230. Love them both!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 PM

I have a serger which I rarely use, a Kenmore and just bought a Singer 239 this weekend. I need to get dh used to me having 3 machines before I buy more.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM

I have5 computerised machines and 5 vintage machines. I use all for different projects. My juki is on my frame for quilting.

My janome excellent at lettering and pictures a

My brother is poorly but still use for some stitching

My husquvane is for classes although do keep going with it once started a project finish on same machine.

Could go on get the idea.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM

Wow, 30 machines. I love that...
I have Viking Designer 1, Viking 875 Quilt, Viking 183, Janome 8200, Brother Simplicity (for classes), Viking Serger and a Singer Featherweight (like the machine I first learned on when in high school)
Each one does something really well so I use them all. I bought the lightweight Brother for classes due to a shoulder injury. I think we all need more than one machine.