Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many to make ....? >

How many to make ....?

How many to make ....?

Old 05-21-2021, 08:04 AM

Default How many to make ....?

I have a huge stash and have decided to use some of it up and do table runners and small quilted toppers for a local craft show here in October.

I have about 15 made so far and I have about 1/3 quilted on the long arm. I am sure that that is not enough .... but what my question is for those that do shows, how many do you consider "enough" stock to have on hand to do one of these? In addition to the table runners, I have a few smaller lap size quilts that currently do not have a home that I will bring along. I am thinking at least 40 - 45 runners for this first try in a variety of sizes and occasions. Whatever does not move I will "reawaken" (lol) my Etsy shop and try to sell the rest or do another show.

What are your thoughts??
Old 05-21-2021, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Not really a question others can answer, without knowing the specific show.

Every show is different ... some consider a few hundred people a whomping success!
Some, are disappointed if it is not in the thousands.
Thus, your stock needs are going to vary.
Similarly, some craft shows there are huge sales of the sort of thing you are offering.
At some, patrons are not looking for that.
While some shows, are inundated with vendors offering similar items.
Or perhaps you may not have any competition.

Best to find out more about your specific show.
Good Luck!
Old 05-21-2021, 09:06 AM

I have done shows where having 15 would be enough and you might sell 3 while at larger shows I would make maybe 30 table runners and throw quilts. I would also display larger quilts i.e. Full, Queen and King which only on one occasion sold one. Depending on your pricing you can do fair to good. The other thing I make that sold well were baby doll quilts. These smaller quilts sold very well.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Not really a question others can answer, without knowing the specific show.

Every show is different ... some consider a few hundred people a whomping success!
Some, are disappointed if it is not in the thousands.
QuiltE - you are very correct. This will be small - a variety of local artisans do it every year for two weekends. I don't expect to get rich and sell hundreds of items and we are off the beaten path so I would put it in the hope to get a few hundred category.

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
.... I would also display larger quilts i.e. Full, Queen and King which only on one occasion sold one. Depending on your pricing you can do fair to good. The other thing I make that sold well were baby doll quilts. These smaller quilts sold very well.
juliasb - Doll quilts? - interesting idea. How big did you make them? Did you piece them or were they simple fabric with a border? They might be fun in novelty fabric.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
QuiltE - you are very correct. This will be small - a variety of local artisans do it every year for two weekends. I don't expect to get rich and sell hundreds of items and we are off the beaten path so I would put it in the hope to get a few hundred category.............
Talk to others involved in the show ... organizers, patrons and vendors, for input, feedback, guidance, suggestions, etc.

Talk to other vendors with similar offerings, even the competition! Also, to those that have no direct connection to your interests. It's not uncommon for similar vendors to agree to work together as to how to compete with each other!
Old 05-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

October is a good time for Christmas and Thanksgiving runners. You might consider doing a few reversible? Sets of maple leaf coasters might be a nice lower priced item. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
October is a good time for Christmas and Thanksgiving runners. You might consider doing a few reversible? Sets of maple leaf coasters might be a nice lower priced item. Good luck!
Thanks Tartan - I was thinking about coasters today as I moved a few hand made ones here in the living room to dust. Humm.... maple leaves would be perfect for New England in the fall!! Great idea.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:01 AM

I think it really depends on the crowd of people you have and the price you put on your table runners. You can always take pictures of the ones you sell out of and if anyone is interested in a particular color or theme then you will have something to show the customer and if you are willing to made some more you can take orders but that is entirely up to you. Good luck to you in your craft show