Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many paper piecers are here? >

How many paper piecers are here?

How many paper piecers are here?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 AM

I've mostly learned PP from the various sites on the internet, but I did buy a book with 365 PP designs. I'd like to learn how to design my own, too.

I usually combine a PP'd block with borders, etc from strips.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 AM

It's PP for all the way, too. It's the only way my sewing machine and I can agree on a sharp point :)

I do like to combine pp with applique, just to add some variety.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Sorry to bring up a thread that has been silent for a couple of weeks, but my computer was unavailable for several weeks and I'm trying to catch up.

I love to pp and have pp'd two queen size quilts, one of which was a Judy Neimeyer pattern. I recently purchased 8 of Eileen Sullivan's patterns (thedesignersworkshop.com) that I'm eagerly awaiting the time to start. They look very complicated, but produce wonderful results.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 AM

I just bought "100 paper piece quilt blocks" book from Connecting Threads...and in the book was an envelope on the inside cover..has a CD in it to be able to make any of the blocks into my desired size.

and as a bonus, the books were all on sale when I bought it....

Haven't used it yet......have too many WIPs to finish first....
if I start that, I will never finish the ones piled on the table...

but the book is really great.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 AM

I love to PP! I have made only 4 projects but fully intend to do more! I will post a few pics.

Billsgirl
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 AM

I have done the Magnolia paper pieced pattern by Eileen Sullivan
and have purchased the Bird of Paradise.
Hope to start that this winter. Just love her patterns.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM

I have some questions for you "Paper Piecing Pro's". I haven't done pp in many years, but back then really enjoyed the perfect results. I only did a few small projects. I am doing a block of the month right now with 6" blocks, and some of them are very intricate, so I drew them out on EQ6 and printed for PP. I am having a horrible time with it. How do you cut pieces for pp? Do you have to cut every piece individually? That takes forever. I am doing all the processes right, but I am ending up with too small seam allowances. I feel like I am cutting pieces a lot bigger than it should take, but obviously I am not. How do you figure out how much yardage to get. It seems like there will be a lot of waste. I have ripped out more doing these little pieces than in doing the last 4 big quilts I've done!! Help!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
I have some questions for you "Paper Piecing Pro's". I haven't done pp in many years, but back then really enjoyed the perfect results. I only did a few small projects. I am doing a block of the month right now with 6" blocks, and some of them are very intricate, so I drew them out on EQ6 and printed for PP. I am having a horrible time with it. How do you cut pieces for pp? Do you have to cut every piece individually? That takes forever. I am doing all the processes right, but I am ending up with too small seam allowances. I feel like I am cutting pieces a lot bigger than it should take, but obviously I am not. How do you figure out how much yardage to get. It seems like there will be a lot of waste. I have ripped out more doing these little pieces than in doing the last 4 big quilts I've done!! Help!!
Some piecers use the strip method where you sew the strip on and then cut off the unused portion. That saves on fabric and works if your pieces are pretty uniform. If you don't have a Add-A-Quarter ruler, I find it is well worth the investment. I couldn't work without one. I use Carol Doak's method which automatically gives a perfect seam allowance.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM

There is some waste, but I keep a jar of "snippets", tiny odd pieces left from trimming, because a lot of times,there is a tiny piece needed for a pp piece block, so I dig through there to see if I have something.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM

Also try measuring the longest side of a piece and add a
half inch or so, then measure the width and add a half inch.
If the piece goes at an odd angle I would add a little more.
Try pining at the seam line and flipping the fabric over to see if it covers.