Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter?

Blog Entries
    i cut my first templates out of milk jug plastic and cereal box cardboard. and cut the fabric with [no so sharp] scissors. it was difficult to keep the lines straight. i made a sampler baby quilt

I did and since it was time consuming, quilting the top afterward seemed less of a chore. I there were still unfinished tops but they didn't accumulate as quickly as now.

Blog Entries
    I made a pillow for my sister from old clothing (jeans and something bright red) - hideous is what I would call it today. She still has it - bless her heart.

I began with cardboard templates and scissors cutting each triangle separately. Then I discovered a wonderful book published in 1979 by Barbara Johannah called The Quick Quiltmaking Handbook. She was the first to introduce strip quilting and the fast triangle method that everyone uses now. Her strip quilting method made the lone star and around the world patterns so easy and that opened the quilt world for me. Then when the rotary cutter and mat came along what a joy. I have researched Barbara Johanna because I feel she deserves credit for really being the first to introduce the methods so many of us use now. I can't find any reference on her this past 30 years. I feel she should be in the quilter's hall of fame because so many teachers have used her original methods without credit. She also wrote a book on Continuous Curve Quilting published 1980 and she was gracious enough to acknowledge Robbie Fanning for the idea. The two books are my cherished possessions now and when I depart my children can sell them on e-bay!
    Happy quilting
    Severna
    Happy Quilting

Blog Entries
    I made an Indian Star quilt top all cut out with sissors and a 12 inch school ruler and chalk pencil...made all the blocks and then it was put away for 30 years or more and last month i sewed the blocks together, they were kinda wonky but i went ahead with the borders (they were cut and in the box also) and yesterday i finished quilting it.... i do not know why i ever picked these colors LOL but it will be nice and warm this winter it is 80 x 100 and will bind it today....so i am progressing with the challenge to finish UFO....this one is the last of the pre rotary cutter projects so maybe i will finish all this year

Blog Entries
    oh, and i used cardboard from the backs of sketch books and watercolor pads.....my cereal boxes were round

Quote Originally Posted by GAgal
    My first quilt was a grandma's fan. It was hand pieced and hand quilted. Unfortunately the quilting is still not finished. Anyone out there willing to finish it up for me? I made it in the late 1980's so it has been waiting a long time.
    I do hand quilting for other quilters. PM me if interested.

I still have a large mark on top of the piano where DH was making a template, gluing sandpaper to a piece of cardboard, putting a weight on it, and it leaked through and stuck to the piano. We still have a whole bunch of templates.

Let me put it this way, I attempted to learn how to do patchwork pre rotary cutter but was very unsuccessful. My hands were never steady at cutting and I had no one that could give me any advice. Reading instructions from a book made little sense to me. My oldest sister sent each of us younger girls a quilt top that she made. It was beautifully done and I wanted so badly to learn how she did it. Now I only wish I still had that top. Those were done pre rotary cutter.
    I still have boxes of pieces that have been cut out and started for quilts that I have picked up along the way at a garage sale or estate sale.
    I did make a couple "baby blankets" that some would call a quilt today but even back in the day I did not consider them to be 'quilts'. Right now I am grateful to the rotary cutter and acrylic rulers and self healing mats. They opened a new and fun world for me. Now I have a stash that will out live me and a sewing room that most would die for. Julia

I now marvel at the first quilt I made in the 70's. It was squares, cut from polyester clothing fabric that a friend gave me left from her sewing. How I cut squares straight by hand,or how the corners were able to meet I cannot remember to be able to tell you. Perhaps the textured fabric was not slippery. That was the end of quilt making until last year! The newer methods and beginner classes were a real aid to sky rocketing into the whole process. We had that quilt until this Fall when it went to our granddaughter for her fort building fun.

I tried to quilt PRC, but things got fun after I purchased the tools!

I did, not a lot though. I sewed all my life but decided to quilt which I did not have a clue about, didn't do too bad either but it was a lot slower without all those wonderful gadgets!!!!

Made a few PRC quilts, a log cabin for my son, a queen size Irish Chain, and a lot of Amish inspired wallhangings. They were all handquilted too of course...I always had trouble cutting accurately, love my rotary cutter and my Accuquilt!

GG
    i MADE ONE IN 1979AND THEN HAD TO STOP UNTIL KIDS STARTED SCHOOL IN 1989.

I started quilting in the sixties and actually I loved cutting by hand. It was relaxing and we didn't have computers,etc., to distract us--so quilting was our entertainment. Yup, I'm old.

The first two full size quilts I made were Elanor Burns Log Cabin. I couldn't find 100% cotton so I couldn't tear the fabric. I used a yardstick to measure the 2 1/2" strips on the floor and cut with sissors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I quilted for many years pre-rotary cutter. And even now, most of what I cut for art quilts and all of what I cut for cards is done with scissors. I find it relaxing actually, and more personal.
    So do I enjoy cutting my pieces w/scissors. I have a alto II that changed my way of cutting a lot of strips & squares. But still get my pen & scissors out on most of my quilts.
    ditto. I still do scissor cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Back in the day before the rotary cutter , I figure lots of quilts got started but never got past the boring cutting with templates , a pencil, and sissors.
    My first quilt seemed to take forever just to cut out.
    How many here quilted before the rotary cutter? What quilts did you make using the old templates and sissors ?
    I made many quilts before the rotary cutter came my way, using the cardboard template and scissors. I then hand quilted everything until the past few years when arthritis caused me to put up the hoop and all handquilting.

I do machine quilted now and I use all modern tools possible.

My first quilt was a brick pattern that I measured, marked and cut with scissors. No template. Another PRC quilt was a GFG that I cut a fabric template for (the cardboard slipped too much.) I marked out the pieces and cut them out with scissors. I also hand stitched it. I plan to hand quilt it, but had to make a few practice pieces first, and then life interrupted for a few years, and so only recently have I gotten back into the quilting bug and plan to finish it. I also discovered rotary cutters in the meantime, but there is something peaceful about scissor cutting, just like hand quilting.

Quilts were around long before rotary cutters, I learned to quilt when most everything was by hand cutting and sewing. Most of the blocks were sewen together on the treddle sewing machine. but quilted by hand. Mom and the neighbor farm ladies had their quilting bees, changed homes each meeting. these ladies could finish hand quilting a quilt in one day. OH! how I remember them sitting aroound the quilting frame hands and mouths going 90miles a minute. The kids playing all around them.I use the rotary cutter faster and not as painful on my hands.

Well remember those days!!! Found a box of cardboard templates during the move 2 years back and happily threw them away.

I did a few minis and doll quilts, several churn dashes, an all squares (6") quilt. Then came the rotary cutter! :)

Blog Entries
    I made my first quilt when my twin sons were one, I actually enjoy cutting with sissors, I used a coloring book for the patterns & cut out firetrucks, dump trucks etc.That was 40+ years ago, yes I use the RC now (especially for the log cabin strips) but also have to admit to having 30+ pairs of sissors.

Blog Entries
    I made my first quilt when my twin sons were one, I actually enjoy cutting with scissors, I used a coloring book for the patterns & cut out firetrucks, dump trucks etc.That was 40+ years ago, yes I use the RC now (especially for the log cabin strips) but also have to admit to having 30+ pairs of scissors.

Blog Entries
    Oh boy, I was a pre rotary cutter. My first quilt was diamonds made from old clothes. I've still got a big bump on my finger from all the cutting (probably with dull sissors). The next few were simply squares, again with old clothes. My filling was old blankets or bedspreads. I remember that I could not find anyone who quilted and there were no magazines about quilting and I could not quilt them because I did not know how the knot was hidden and if you were suppose to use single strand or double strand of thread. Wish I had had a mentor. My, how times have changed.

Blog Entries
    can't believe I spelled scissors wrong, senior moment I guess.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast