Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many quilters are left handed vs. right? >

how many quilters are left handed vs. right?

how many quilters are left handed vs. right?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm a righty. My sister also got whacked in Catholic School for being a lefty. They told her it was a sign of the devil!! Jeez, how much can you screw a little kid up!! Anyway, she had beautiful left handed hand writing, and had a hard time learning to crochet etc.., but she did learn!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Right!

And "switching" kids is a throw back to the time when writing was done with a fountain pen and as a person wrote, they smudged the ink. School scissors until recently were very difficult to use if you were using your left hand.

I taught Kindergarten for 30 years and never ever tried to switch a child. Many children at age 4 or 5 have not decided on their handedness preference. If I saw that was the case I would watch carefully when the child was doing things that required coordination, report to the parents on what I thought and let them decide. But it is really important that small children decide their handedness, or they spend many frustrating years trying to do things and not having success. And being successful at tasks that are result oriented is very important for build self-esteem.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 PM

I am a lefthanded but:

crochet right handed
can write forwards and backwards with my right (go figure)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM

My DH and I are righties, and so are our kids, but when our son joined Little League, he batted left-handed. I coached softball and discovered that I batted better left-handed. I've tried to quilt left-handed - NO WAY!My son golfs right-handed, but putts left-handed. One of his sons is a lefty all the way. Go figure.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Wow, this is interesting. I'm a righty. I'll eat munchies left handed or right, and when I cut my food I hold the fork in my right hand and cut with my left. It's easier that way (cut, eat, cut, eat -seriously why switch?) Someone once told me that's how then "detect spies" or some bs like that. It sounded like whoha then and sounds like whoha now.

My Great Grandmother was a lefty so I've watched my three year old since she was old enough to hold things. She eats with either but ALWAYS holds the pencils and crayons in her right hand.

I once knew someone who was both. He was a righty to start with but when he was little he wanted to be just like his brother so would mime him - mirror image style when they would color, etc. As an adult he was a lefty all the time.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:41 PM

I am a right hander
Old 12-01-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm a lefty too.
of my 10 half siblings, 5 are leftys too. Of those, 2 are ambidextrous.
Our great-grandfather was a left-handed master carpenter!
My husband is also a lefty but our two sons are both right handed!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 PM

I am a righty, too.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Wow, this is interesting. I'm a righty. I'll eat munchies left handed or right, and when I cut my food I hold the fork in my right hand and cut with my left. It's easier that way (cut, eat, cut, eat -seriously why switch?) Someone once told me that's how then "detect spies" or some bs like that. It sounded like whoha then and sounds like whoha now.

My Great Grandmother was a lefty so I've watched my three year old since she was old enough to hold things. She eats with either but ALWAYS holds the pencils and crayons in her right hand.

I once knew someone who was both. He was a righty to start with but when he was little he wanted to be just like his brother so would mime him - mirror image style when they would color, etc. As an adult he was a lefty all the time.
the way you cut your food is the 'continental' way of eating. they do that in france, italy, spain, etc. i don't know this as a fact. my son has been all over the world and ALL he does is EAT, and he has taught himself to eat that way. he says it's much easier and you can eat more in a shorter time. men!
but i can see that someone impersonating an american during a war could be given away as a european spy by the way they eat. who knows?

i'm a righty and the food gets in fast enough, thank you!

hey izy....what do you say?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm a lefty. Parents told the schools to let me be. I write left and eat left but that is about it. All sports are right-because I was taught by righties and had to use hand-me-down equiptment. Baseball glove feels backwards but that was all I had. I knit and crochet right and I hand sew with either-depends on the direction I want to go. :lol: