Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

That's how much I'm guessestimating I've got on my shelf. Probably more. All bought in 2010. :shock:

Makes me wonder how many good-sized lap quilts that would make me if I kept working just from stash... Do you all have this much, lots more, or what?

Blog Entries
    oh my word. I don't even want to know how many yards of fabric I have.. I really don't. You'll have a TON of quilts.

I know what you mean. I'm not into the 500-range, but really...I've got plenty. :oops:

I don't know how many quilts you'd get but I sure wish I had that dilema. My stash is nowhere that large but I do keep adding to it.

Originally I thought I didn't have a lot of fabric, so I kind of went on a buying spree... for like a week. Now, I have been organizing it and wrapping it and storing it vertically on a bookshelf now, and I now realize I have A LOT. How many quilts... I have no idea. Sounds like you have more fabric than time!

WOWSER!!!!! I wish I had that problem too!!!!!!

U need to get busy sewing!!!! LOL....

Wish u lived closer, I'd help u with some of it!!!

My charity wheelchair quilts for veterns avg is the wideth ( usually 44 " ) to about 1 yd length...

The charity Veterns Walker bags take about 1/2 yd

HAHAHA! Oh if I only had that dilemma! I splurged and bought some fat quarters this week! :)

I would say at least 50!

Blog Entries
    I may be in that range, but a lot of it is apparel fabric. My resolution to not purchase any fabric except what is needed to finish projects isn't exactly a hardship at this point. Hopefully it will be by 2012. Mentally, it is not fun. I'd like to buy more batiks and large florals - my two new loves. Ah, well, this will help me learn to live on my new retirement income.

How many quilts? A 48" by 60+" lap quilt has to take four yards, so at least 125 quilts. My church asked for 45 by 54, but that looked skimpy to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    HAHAHA! Oh if I only had that dilemma! I splurged and bought some fat quarters this week! :)
    I wish I had that much fabric. If I am lucky, I may have 10 yards total stash. I made a wish list of fabric does that count? LOL

You asked the question, but I don't know if you really want an answer. How many quilts depends of course on the size and complexity of the quilt. Let's say that one quilt, together with backing and binding, takes 20 yards. (Not enough for a large complex quilt but more than needed for a smaller simple quilt - somewhere in the middle!) Okay, your 500 yards would only make 25 quilts. Now it doesn't sound like so much, does it? Now you need to go out and buy more!!!

I have never done a complete inventory and I'm a little afraid to do so. Four yards of fabric weighs about one pound. When you have the largest Rubbermaid container and you can barely lift it (at least 50 lbs) you know it contains about 200 yards. I have a bin of each colour plus others (ie thirties, batiks, children's etc.) This week I did a re-organizing and culled a huge bag to donate to the Mennonite Relief Centre for their charity quilts. I have been collecting fabric since I was nine and much of my collection was given to me or purchased very reasonably at rummage, estate and clear out sales. My goal is now to finish a whole bunch of UFO's (didn't count those either) and only use fabric from my stash to do so. I now only buy fabric if there is absolutely nothing that will work in my collection.

Ummm..... a lot. Maybe 50 - 70 depending on the size.

I have a bit more than that, maybe.

Heh yes, a lot.... I think so, too!! Kind of leaning towards Mattee's and JG's guess of 50+.

It's half playful (been FMQing and wondering; do you get the FMQ trance? lol). I do want to get a feel for how many quilts it might take me to free up enough space on my shelf to store battings, threads, notions and so on.

So I'm thinking I pulled 21 fabrics from my stash last night and I say well, that's maybe roughly 20 yards. (Some are half-yard cuts, most yards or longer yardage. I didn't measure! Could be 30 or more yards to begin with...)
    Looking at the size of the dent that made in the tightly packed fabric in my shelf, I then "count" the remaining shelf size by comparison. So much for the "accuracy" of my guess...

And of course you're right, there's no way of really knowing how much fabric I'll really need for my future quilts - I haven't even designed most of them yet, much less made them! :D But hey, now I know I have a TON of quilt potential sitting right there on my shelf. I also "discovered" a lot of fabrics I can't remember ever having seen before... Even though I bought all of them last year.

I gave away at least that much last year to different charitable groups and you can't tell any is gone. 200+yds was approx 7-8" thick and the entire back of my Grand Cherokee. That's how much I bought at Marshall's Dry Goods last June.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonsweet
    That's how much I'm guessestimating I've got on my shelf. Probably more. All bought in 2010. :shock:

Makes me wonder how many good-sized lap quilts that would make me if I kept working just from stash... Do you all have this much, lots more, or what?
    Most of the magazine patterns give yardage requirements of about 14 yards for a 75" square quilt...top, binding, and back. So 500 yards is about 36 quilts of that size. My stash is at least double yours, but it sure wasn't all purchased in one year! Enjoy the freedom of choice a stash gives you!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I gave away at least that much last year to different charitable groups and you can't tell any is gone. 200+yds was approx 7-8" thick and the entire back of my Grand Cherokee. That's how much I bought at Marshall's Dry Goods last June.
    Wow! You've got some serious amount of stash! A dream, if you've got the space for it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    ...Enjoy the freedom of choice a stash gives you!
    Oh I will! Thank you :D

Funnily enough, I like my stash better now I've stopped buying to add to it. And I like it even better with gaining a (very rough) idea of how much it is, through this discussion.

I'm fairly new at this but have started gathering a stash but yours is seriously HUGE. I think you've got more than my local fabric shop.

I usually use a total of three yards plus batting for each Linus quilt I make. That would be approximately 166 Linus quilts. I have probably made that many this past year or so. I knew I have gone through at least ten rolls of Joann's 10yrd rolls of 48" batting. None of this includes my personal quilting. I made 14 banner style wallhangings for Christmas gifts this year and at least 4 or 5 other quilts or quilt projects.

Not sure how much fabric I have but it is lots. My daughter tells me that when she needs some fabric she's coming to shop at my house because I have as much fabric as Wal-Mart. So...guess I have quite a bit.

Blog Entries
    well I figured out once that I used about 15 yards to make a queen size log cabin quilt, so you have enough to maKE ABOUT 33 QUEEN size quilts, wall quilt 1/4 of that so have enough to make about 133 wall quilts! And thats if you make log cabin, and have one inch finished logs.

Blog Entries
    If you made one inch postage stamp around the world, just think.........lol

One thing for sure is if the electricity ever went out you would have enuf fabric/quilts to keep warm.

Thats ALOT of fabric!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast