Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilts do you make in a year? >
  • How many quilts do you make in a year?

• How many quilts do you make in a year?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I also finish one quilt before I start another except for 1 quilt.That one is made of embriordered blocks and and my daughter wants it for her king size bed. So I sit in front of the tv and work on a block.It usually takes me about 3 or 4 nights to do 1 block cause she wants beads and crystals on it also.There also has to curtains,valances,pillow shams,and a bed skirt and she added a dresser runner to her list.She may get it next Christmas.But it's gonna be beautiful.She bought all the fabric,batting,backing,thread,crystals,beads,proba bly more than it will take.She said she didn't want me to run out and not be able to find more.[/quote]

Oh my gosh. That sounds beautiful but way, way too difficult for me. Good luck. Your daughter will truly have a treasure.
    Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
    I dont know that I've ever counted but I do know last yr I made 42 quilts for one woman it took me 14 months to cpmplete her order. I made others too during that period not just that order...so in any yr I could make 75 easy...all different sizes...BUT I am retired
    Boy ,are you fast! It takes me a week to cut and sew a quilt top and another week to hand quilt it.Your hands must be smokin at the end of a quilt. I wish I could make quilts that fast,I could make more quilts, but with a queen/king the best I can do is 2 a month. You are definately faster than me!
    Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Lynmccoy wrote: Boy ,are you fast! It takes me a week to cut a sew a quilt top and another week to hand quilt it.Your hands must be smokin at the end of a quilt. I wish I could make quilts that fast,I could make more quilts, but with a queen/king the best I can do is 2 a month. You are definately faster than me!

Good gracious. 2 hand quilted queen/king quilts a month. Do you even take a bathroom break? You put me to shame. I'm impressed.
    Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by lberna
    Lynmccoy wrote: Boy ,are you fast! It takes me a week to cut a sew a quilt top and another week to hand quilt it.Your hands must be smokin at the end of a quilt. I wish I could make quilts that fast,I could make more quilts, but with a queen/king the best I can do is 2 a month. You are definately faster than me!

Good gracious. 2 hand quilted queen/king quilts a month. Do you even take a bathroom break? You put me to shame. I'm impressed.
    I thought I worked pretty fast til I read about how many some of our friends here made.Made me sound like a turtle. I can cut the pattern in 1 day,sewing takes about 2-3 days, then the rest is for the hand quilting.
    Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lberna

I thought I worked pretty fast til I read about how many some of our friends here made.Made me sound like a turtle. I can cut the pattern in 1 day,sewing takes about 2-3 days, then the rest is for the hand quilting.
    Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Size of the quilts and complexity of the pattern make a great deal of difference. An easy baby quilt can be completed in a couple of days, while something hand-quilted (specifically) may take a year. I completed around 6 quilts from start to finish in 2010 (all machine quilted).
    Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 AM

I did 20 last year and 18 the year before. Not all of them large though.
    Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
    Banned

3 last yr, hope more this.
    Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    For me it all depends on what is going on - I have two I have been working on fro about a year - babies move to the top of the list - this year I have to make at least 2 babies so far - want to get the other two finished and have two in the working on list :thumbup:
    Sharon, sorry but that sounds funny, quote - "I have to make at least 2 babies this year etc.." - hope you mean baby quilts
    Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I vary a lot. In 2008, I think I finished about 10, after we rolled our truck down the mountain. I started quilting in 2000 when I retired. Today I finished quilt # 433. A bunch of those were king or queen, but probably more than half were lap or baby sized, although my guild sisters claim I don't make anything smaller than a twin. so far this year I've completed 2 lap sized quilts and done the finishing touches on a queen I began in 2009.

One of the major reasons is that my DGKs are where I can't get my hands on them.