Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many quilts does one need???

HI all, I am a fairly new quilter, just finished my first top, and working on my second and third. I also have ideas and material selected for three more. I was just wondering, how many quilts do you have for your personal use? I just have all these ideas but don't know how many my kids or I need, and I don't know anyone that I could give them too that would appreciate them. Do you all have 5 quilts on each bed at a time LOL??? How many is too many?? I just want to keep making them...
    Evelyn

You can have as many as you want. I always have at least 2 projects going at a time. This doesn't count the tops I still need to sandwich and quilt.

:)

Blog Entries
    I only need one more! LOL I give away most of what I make. I'm working on one for my bed, and a decorative one for the end of my bed. I've also got 2 lap quilts (neither one long enough for hubby - so he'll get one eventually). I've got a large coffee table with a shelf under where I can stack several quilts. None of what I make just sits on display. They are all lovingly used! :)

I currently have 3 for myself. One in the car, and two are hanging on a quilt rack right now but they do get used. I guess as many times as you want to change the quilts on beds you have! LOL I don't think you ever have enough. I give most of mine away. I also have one my mom made on the spare room bed. But it matches the room so it just stays there.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many people on the board make charity quilts just for the joy of quilting. Others give them as gifts to friends and realatives. Still others sell them. I have only made couch sized quilts so far, and just keep them.

My answer: As many as you want!
    I have made hundres of quilts...sold some, given away some, and have some for myself. I not only have quilts I have made, I have some that members of my family have made and given to me.

I probably have 15 twin to queen size quilt at the moment.

I live in Florida. I don't "need" any but I love to plan and make them.
    I give away more than I keep.
    :-D

Blog Entries
    Think to the future....as a genealogist, I'd KILL to have a quilt stitched by one of my grandmothers...great grands...great great grands...

So even if you only have two kidlets...those two will multiply, as will all following generations... :)

I am firmly into double digits. I tell myself there is no limit on how many I can have.

Just like chocolate, you can never have too much.

I personaly have none for myself...well that is not true..I have a very pretty lap quilt that was sent to me..I make them, but I have yet to keep one...Personaly I see nothing wrong with having hundreds of them. :)

"NEED" has nothing to do with it. If you can not give them away, keep them all. Rotate them as you change the decoration in your room. Make them for when your kids have their own homes and keep it coming. There is no limit.

I end up giving most of them away, but I don't think you can have too many. tee hee

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I completely agree you can never have enough. I have quilts that my grandmother made for me when I was a growing up and some my that mother made. Used to get a new one every year from my grandmoether. Some are old and falling apart but I would never get rid of them I love them as much now as when they were new. I haven't made any for myself but I have for my kids and other family. I bought fabric the other day to make myself 1.

Lol, well thanks for the replies, I feel a lot better now ;) Another question then is how do you store them? I have a problem with clutter-being that I can't stand it, so everything would need to have it's place if you know what I mean. Do you all just pile them up on spare beds (of which I don't have-my spare room is my craft room)?
    Thanks!
    Evelyn

Well, and since you love doing this so much , I'll bet when people get a glance at them, they may want to buy them from you. There's always that decision when you make a quilt to keep it or give it away to someone. Quilts hold an amazing amount of love, care and attention that I don't think any washing machine can ever wash away, so whoever gets one is a lucky person. Can't wait to see photos!

I have given most of what I have done away, I don't have a quilt on any bed in my house, how sad is that? Even when I do, and have given every loved one a quilt, I will always be working on the next one. It is my "art". I paint with fabric like an artist paints with paint, or pencils, etc... I doubt that any artist quits painting or drawing when their walls are covered and their friends walls, families walls, etc...There is always a new color to try, or pattern, or technique. If you have never laid awake at night planning and dreaming about, your next project, then maybe you will stop when all the beds are covered.

Blog Entries
    I have 3 in the house and none on the bed. My latest count is 30 full-sized finished. One of these days, I'll make one for the bed.

Banned
    Too many??? There is no such thing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bearspaws
    Lol, well thanks for the replies, I feel a lot better now ;) Another question then is how do you store them? I have a problem with clutter-being that I can't stand it, so everything would need to have it's place if you know what I mean. Do you all just pile them up on spare beds (of which I don't have-my spare room is my craft room)?
    Thanks!
    Evelyn
    Actually, the best place to store quilts is flat on a bed, if you have a spare bed out of the sun.
    Aside from that, I have been told to make a cotton pillow case to store each quilt in. (Be sure to take it out occassionally to refold it. Creases that are left, tend to cause threads to break over time.)
    I know someone who rolls her quilts on a tube (covered in muslin) to store them.
    Another thought... Look up the international quilt study center online. They have tips for quilt storage, too.

Make all you want!

Blog Entries
    No such thing as to many. I make and give away. Have 3 right now in process for gifts. I have four on my bed right now. I keep quilts my on both beds, the recliners and in a quilt rack my DH made me for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bearspaws
    HI all, I am a fairly new quilter, just finished my first top, and working on my second and third. I also have ideas and material selected for three more. I was just wondering, how many quilts do you have for your personal use? I just have all these ideas but don't know how many my kids or I need, and I don't know anyone that I could give them too that would appreciate them. Do you all have 5 quilts on each bed at a time LOL??? How many is too many?? I just want to keep making them...
    Evelyn
    NEED? When do quilters worry about NEED? Would we have our wonderful stashes if we did?! :-D If you're making bed quilts, you can rotate them on and off. I have found that lap size (a bit smaller than a twin) is very versatile for using around the house, or to give for gifts.

Since I finished my first bed size quilt in 1968 I have actually worn out a couple. I have a trunk full as well as several cloth bags and a few boxes. I always have one on my bed. There is one thrown over each of the wing chairs in my living room to hide the upholestry that my cat shredded and one over the sofa also. I have given away at least one to everyone in my family. I made my daughter a king size one as a wedding present and gave my step-daughter a king size one for her 20th wedding anniversary. Each of my grandchildren has gotten at least one. I am always making wall hangings or table runners as wedding or anniversary gifts for friends and family. I also make an average of 20 Linus quilts a month. At present I am putting together a huge T shirt quilt for a client. You can never have enough quilts.

I have given most of mine away and I have 5 or 6 for our one bed. I plan on making as many as I can before I go to the big quilt room in the sky. Let my heirs decide what to do with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast