Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How many?

How many?

Recently my cousin lost her husband suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was 55 and they had been married 33 years. I want to make her a quilt using some of his shirts. I'm not sure which kind she will prefer, t-shirts or dress/cotton shirts. My question is how many shirts do I need to use to make an average size queen? She lives in a different state so she will have to mail them. So I wasn't sure how many to ask for. I know some of have made these before. I'm not sure what pattern I want to use. I could use some suggestions on that as well. Thanks in advance. Gina

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear of her loss.
    Here's the link to the seven dress shirt quilt:
    http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
    This results in a throw, 52” x 64”, so extrapolating, a small queen, 80X80 would need about twice that. There's no reason why you can't just add yardage in a neutral or complimentary color, however, so the number of shirts isn't really super critical.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thank you. I appreciate the link. I guess if I ask for a bunch, I can always send the unused ones back. ��

Blog Entries
    be sure to use stabilizer with the t shirt material. It stretches all directions otherwise
    Patski
    always learning

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Any left over shirts, you could make a pillow case to go with it.

I recently lost my husband and am thinking of making his shirts into small quilts for our children (grown) and grandchildren. What you are going to do is a wonderful idea. Sorry about your loss!

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    Recently my cousin lost her husband suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was 55 and they had been married 33 years. I want to make her a quilt using some of his shirts. I'm not sure which kind she will prefer, t-shirts or dress/cotton shirts. My question is how many shirts do I need to use to make an average size queen? She lives in a different state so she will have to mail them. So I wasn't sure how many to ask for. I know some of have made these before. I'm not sure what pattern I want to use. I could use some suggestions on that as well. Thanks in advance. Gina
    I made a throw from a friend's dad's shirts. We used 8 and had more than enough fabric left over. We used the turning 20 pattern. I completely dismantled each shirt, and even used some cuffs, pockets, and collars as they were, for the fun of it.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post

If you are doing the work, tell her what material you prefer working with.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I have been making aprons from dress shirts (mens & womens). I made over 20 for a friend's family (he passed away last spring) from his shirts. I used the long sleeves for the ties or pockets. Short sleeves for the pockets with the ties cut from the yoke or back. If shirts are short I made a ruffle from the back. Here is a link: http://www.allfreesewing.com/Refashi...ns-Shirt-Apron

Dress or flannel shirts would make a nicer quilt. If doing a tshirt limit the number to fewer then lots.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Blog Entries
    A friend made a quilt using husbands dress shirts. She was amazed how colour coordinated he was. Suggest you ask friend to try and coordinate colours unless she has a personal favourite. Also to keep his aftershave or similiar as she can put it on the quilt periodically and snuggle in his smell.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Forgot to attach the link to Bonnie Hunter's instructions on how to take a shirt apart:
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...irt-movie.html
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I can't help, just want to say it is a very good idea. Sorry for her loss.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I would use the shirts but make sure they are clean. Here are three designs that were just recently posted. If you did an advance search on t-shirt quilts, you could find more pattern designs. Number of t-shirts depends on the layout.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t258536.html
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

a small man's shirt has about 1.5 yards of fabric in it.
    An xxx large man's shirt has 3-4 yards in it
    18-ish neckties are about a yard of fabric
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-23-2014 at 10:16 AM.

So sorry for your loss.

If the shirts have to be shipped to you, it would probably take many more t-shirts than dress shirts, if you are using the graphics on the front of t-shirts, although you can add to the t-shirts by using transfer paper to transfer his college emblem, favorite sports team graphics, ... using the fabric from his t-shirts. But t-shirts are usually a simpler design - square or rectangular blocks with sashing that you would probably provide.
    Sue Wilson

yel
    Blog Entries
    i try to tell everyone 20 to 24 t-shirts and you could use other fabric or dress shirts for the sashing ...did one for a friend was one shirt short so we did a emb.block with her name for the extra one .....

Thanks Paper Princess, I copied and pasted the info from the link into a Word doc as I have been collecting men's shirts for a while now!!

When my husband of 28 years passed in 2008, a friend of one of my children made teddy bears out of his cotton work shirts. My son and daughter each have one....you might think of using the small pieces that are left over for this.

memory quilts

Name:  Teage quilt front.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  7.7 KB
    I have made two memory quilts one of each with thirty 12" blocks, 5 X 6. The first was a t-shirt with sashing and a 2" border, that was about twin sized when completed. The second was done with 8 dress shirts with added background sheeting with no sashing; I had to add a large border to get it up to a full sized quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by dee1245; 12-26-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Sorry for the size of the pictures and the third one. Tried to get rid of the larger one and insert a smaller one but it didn't work.

So very sorry for your friend. It is so devastating.

I think you idea is absolutely marvelous. But if you have not talked with her yet don't be surprised if she turns you down. When my father passed it was on Dec. 19, 2000 so we were all very shocked and saddened. My parents had been married for 50 years, so I was sure my mother would want a quilt to wrap up in. But when I asked, she said that it was a morbid idea. Really? My feelings were not hurt, I was just surprised. It turned out the day before his service there was an apartment fire and many people were left with nothing, so my mom felt that was a sign and donated all of his clothes to them. Turned out my dad had bought several new suits before he retired and then hardly wore them. So hopefully they went to someone that needed them.