Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many UFO's? >

How many UFO's?

How many UFO's?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM

father is a retired mechanical engineer. He'd like to make some $, so he keeps designing this or that, and building one or two prototypes. What he does next, is not get them out there, but draw up all the cutting or building parts on CAD-CAM, and then draw up a list of numbered parts. It's part of the mfg process to him. No business has ever made it to selling. One actually made it to packaging, then he dumpt it. ... that one probably would have actually been lucrative.

Well, back to quilting. I'm very like that. I draw up the quilt. on paper. Plan it. calc the yardage myself... often I buy the fabric... sometimes I cut it... occasionally I make a few blocks.... then I get excited about something else, and start over at square one (pun intended). Some of us like the planning part. My home is the nest of many UFO/WIPs/PIGS.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I just redid my sewing room and unearthed all of my UFOs - some I even forgot I had. Didn't count because that would make me feel bad and under-accomplished. When the mood strikes, I will pull them out and work on them. Until then, they are neatly stacked and resting in a quiet dark place with their friends. Not a problem at all.

Now I have finished quite a few quilts. If all of my work was UFO then I wouldn't be happy either.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by grandjan
Okay, here's a theory. Some things are not meant to be finished. They are part of the creative learning process, much like preliminary sketches of a painting. ................
Right!
Beethoven, DaVinci, Mozart, Dickens, Gaudi, Gilbert Stuart(portrait of Geo. Washington), all left work unfinished and nobody denies their genius!
Sometimes, even though your quilt isn't finished, you are finished with your quilt.:wink:

Jan in VA
I like this one! :D
Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I just redid my sewing room and unearthed all of my UFOs - some I even forgot I had. Didn't count because that would make me feel bad and under-accomplished. When the mood strikes, I will pull them out and work on them. Until then, they are neatly stacked and resting in a quiet dark place with their friends. Not a problem at all.

Now I have finished quite a few quilts. If all of my work was UFO then I wouldn't be happy either.
Yeah this is how i am. Im trying to finish a jumbled quilt that hnas a pattern only i can see :roll: But i left my graphbook somewhere so i cant find my pattern, the pattern i should probably fix lol! But i finished the october doll quilt and im trying to finish a double irish chain doll quilt, and yeah i made the blocks 1 1/2" so it can be a doll quilt, which was a mistake because i am not that skilled...