Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many washes to "rag"? >

how many washes to "rag"?

how many washes to "rag"?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Okay - it's looking better, but it will be a few more washes before I'm really happy with it. Or maybe the toothbrush mentioned earlier. I'm leaving it for now, though!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239685.jpe  
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by janallyn
thank you i was wondering if i should just jetsum my plan, in my head i thought it would work, now i believe it will, i call it nantuckut summer, never been there but saw a photo in a magazine once, and it inspired me, not the quilt, just the colors, old whites, creams and pastels, in a house that was so old and beautiful in the photo, i save my inspirations out of magazines for color and form, it lets me close my eyes and see what i want it to be in the finished product, it iis not necessary for you to respond, i just appreciate your help, if you would like too, i would enjoy it, if not, keep on quilting

jan in palatka
Sounds like it will turn out really nice. Would love to see your finished quilt.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 AM

you need more fabric to fray. but keep washing, 2-3 times
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eisgoow
Oh I want to do a denim rag quilt so badly !!!!!
So you are saying that 1/2 to 3/4 " is a good seam allowance for the rag quilt.
Anxious to do it. I saw pic of one and looked like they cut into the raw edge every 1/2 " and was so cute.
I saw a you tube with a guy taking a weed whacker to the clipped edges of a denim rag quilt. It seemed a little extreme to me, but keep it in mind if yours doesn't rag well.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM

I have done several flannel rag quilts and all had 1 inch seams, snipped then washed and dried. 2 washes usually does pretty good. clean the lint trap on your drier often as it fills up fast. Part of the problem with round shapes is that some of the edges are on the bias and bias does not fray well. Good lookin' quilt! probably will fray a bit more with use. By the way I would not use the weed wacker, liable to shred the whole thing, tooth brush would be better if you feel it needs more help fraying.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM

I've made several flannel rag quilts and what everyone else is saying is true. I would also like to add that I think it depends on your washer as well. I made one for my grand daughter and washed it twice in my front loader. It looked ok to me. Then my daughter washed it again with baby soap in her top loader and she got handfuls more of the lint and little strings. I think some front loaders are just too gentle.

I read somewhere that the guy that sells those hand held quilting frames suggested taking them out on the driveway and taking the weed whacker to them. There were pictures on his website. I would have a mess if I did that.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Part of your particular problem is that you are trying to fray a curved line; consequently some of your fraying is on the straight of the goods, but some is on the bias. Fraying works best on the straight of the goods.

Have never tried it on the bias, but I would suspect you'll have to help it along with your scissors. Good luck! It's a cute quilt! :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Well, "BLESS HER HEART"... ha. It will be fine. I'll trade you my Crazy Quilt Trees I am trying to straighten out for your baseball quilt - as is! ha. Really cute quilt you have there... I like it!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lorettan
you really need to to do a 1/2 to 1 inch seam. i usually do 1/2 and find that it works well.
I agree. I usually use a 1/2 inch seam on flannel rags for children. My trick for assisting the fray process is using a plastic pet comb -- the kind with short, narrow teeth that is good for matted hair or even fleas. A couple of brushes with this and it looks great and saves the washer and dryer.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Lovely work.