Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many in a workshop? >

How many in a workshop?

How many in a workshop?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM

I've found out from the program chair that workshops are typically either 4 or 6 hours, and that we usually have 30-40 people in them (!!!!) Of course, these are with national teachers.

I need to find out what kind of building fee the guild has to pay- that might be why they usually have so many people there. I may have to compromise at 20, but I think I'm going to try to get 15 to be the max, and hope for 10 to sign up

I'm not sure whether they need to be separate classes or not; but I think teaching quilting is going to be harder than teaching trapunto, so fewer people would be better.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM

If you do not have a second person assisting I would not do more than 10 or 12. Even if you have the room, in my experience as an attendee, you won't be giving full value to the attendees. They expect to get more hands-on than they would watching a u-tube from their sewing table.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Someone will have issue with their machine, bad tension, breaking threads, etc. and it will happen to the one person who expects you to do something about it. LOL The last quilting workshop I went to the instructor had a machine set up ready to go for just that reason and yep we had a time hog student who couldn't get her machine to cooperate. How are you going to address the student who is constantly calling you over to 'see why this isn't working"? I think you'll do great as the most important part of teaching is wanting to.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Another consideration: Is it possible to have a teaching assistant, someone else to help you with the class attendees. If you go over it with the TA first, then you won't feel as stressed. Since you have teaching experience making a lesson plan to share with the TA and attendees would also help.
That is exactly what I was going to say!