Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many of You Actually use Your Quilts......

Banned
    I have noticed that a few of us have pets and kids running around the house and was wondering, after all the long hours of labor and love do you put your quilts to use?

For me the answer is OF COURSE!!!

The way I look at it I want mine to be used and enjoyed, not stored in a container so it is kept safe from anything happening to it. My wife always wants to put them up, but I keep telling her that I made that one and I can make another one just like it if it ever wears out.

But this is coming from a guy that drives a full custom 1951 Ford everyday and uses sewing machines that they haven't made in almost 100 years for everyday sewing/quilt making. :D :lol:

Billy

Blog Entries
    Hehe :) Ya we use ours as well. My SIL used hers on a hay ride to look at christmas lights and the pics were gorgeous because of it! :) They are meant to be used. Now if I did an art one that took me a million years I might hang it haha :D

We all use ours.. mine on my bed, my children ran all over town with theirs and here 10-14 yrs later they still have them, faded but good lap quilts now for big tall strapping children. Excuse to make them another. I am making a wall quilt that will be hand appliqued.. that I would not use on a bed.

USE THEM! If they are put up in the cedar chest then my daughter would put them in theirs and so on and on. Finally it would dry rot and noone would ever see it or appreciate and use it.

Now I have kids and and dog and the ones we use the most are quick and easy patterns and cheaper material, LOL!

Blog Entries
    I do use a few! My mother-in-law has made several for me and all are hand quilted. Several are behind glass doors for display. I know the work she has put into each and they are all so beautiful! They might be behind closed doors but they are glass doors!

I enjoy making quilts and use mine and give them with no strings attached. Once a quilt is given they can do whatever they want with it. I tell them that in the begtinning. I have cringed when I saw one of my quilts in the dog bed, but they are being used and not stored. The dog enjoyed it and kept him warm.

I use all my quilts. Well...mine that were given to me. Mine as in mine I make have all been for other people. I'm finishing up the boys' D9P's very soon, they'll use those. My big project for this year is my anniversary quilt. I'll use that. Quilts are meant to be used.

We definitely use ours. I have several here at home that are in use and the Gkids are all getting quilts for their birthdays and some are already using them everyday.

Banned
    I have 4 dogs (Irish Setter, 2 Poms and a Chihuahua) and they usually sleep with my wife and I every night. Sometimes my daughter will take a couple of them but since she has her new quilt I finished for her she is kinda leary of them sleeping on it. :roll:

But when I change the bedding and throw on the freshly washed quilt they love to roll around and snuggle in it!! I have trained them well..................

Billy

We use all of our quilts I change them out on our bed every month. And all my children use theirs. Most of them never make it to the bedroom are used in the den to snuggle up with. All are hand quilted. My daughter's first quilt is faded from so many washings, and the binder is fraying, I need to replace it, and it is still in her den. being used everyday. She has others that I have made for her, in the guest room, but the one she loves the best is the first. All my sons took their new quilts to college with them, and had that love and comfort to see them through all for 4ers, or in on case 5 years LOL. they are all still in use today. We have a Great Dane, that thinks each new one is for him. He is our third, and the 2 before him were the same. :lol:

I use some of my quilts everyday.. Our 'media'(TV) room is kind of cool in the Winter so I keep the twin size Blooming 9 Patch quilt I made years ago on the couch to wrap myself in when I watch TV. On the back of DH's chair he keeps the lap size pinwheel quilt I made him for his 70th B-day more than 5 years ago. Upstairs on guest bedroom/sewing room I have one of the first quilts I made in 1999, a twin size Many Trips around the world and in the other upstairs bed room is a full size quilt make of swap blocks. My grandkids use their quilts often and from what my nieces tell me they use the quilts I made for their children all the time.

I do have quilts made for shows and challenges put away in closets but think I'm going to donate a few of them to my Guild's Giving Closet, the challenge quilts are small and would make nice baby or kids quilts.

We use all of them, they barely make it to their new home before they are wrapped around the new owners. and for the ones that stay here they are used before they are done, the dogs and cats all love to help,

We use all ours and the bed and over the sofa.

I also know for definite that the ones I've given as gifts have all gone to good homes and are well love and used.

I always use mine and tell everyone I give one to to please use it and love it. If it gets worn out I get to make them a new one so it's good for me.

did the wash yesterday- yep, there's DS's quilt. The 2nd one I ever made. It's full of "experiments"- the first time I did a cable on the side borders, the first trip around the world. But, it's his favorite. Checked it over- no repairs needed. Love the softness it has gained over the last 4 years.

my quilts are meant to be used- and I tell the receipients that!

Blog Entries
    All of the ones that are in the pile to be given as gifts to family and friends (WIPS) are made to be used and used hard :D:D:D The more intricate ones will be made as wallhangings :wink: I can always make them more when these wear out!!!

All my quilts are made to be used and they are. My kids use them all the time, I have three that I have for my own use and switch periodiacally. I did make each of my kids (4) an heirloom quilt which they do not use, but all the rest are loved.

I have quilts in almost every room of the house. They are hanging on walls, drapped over sofas and thrown on chairs. I routinely change out the ones on my bed. I have more than I will be able to wearout in my lifetime. Our cat expressed his displeasure at our last mini vacation by barfing in the middle of the quilt on my bed. I just threw it in the wash and put it right back on the bed. 95% of mine are hand quilted. All of my children and grandchildren have at least one.

Blog Entries
    Isn't a quilt supposed to be used?
    I even have one folded in half on the back seat of the car for the kids to sit on. When I start making quilts and have no use for them, I will give them to someone or someplace where they will be used!

Blog Entries
    I make them with the hope that they are used and enjoyed as much as possible. I'd rather replace them when they are threadbare than know they were packed away in a closet somewhere. Most of the ones I've given away are lovingly used. A couple are hanging and not used. But at least they are being viewed! :)

I use all the ones I have kept.

I use all the quilts that I make. I do have a few that my great grandma and step-grandma made and I don't use those. I am really careful with them. However all of the quilts that I made are on beds or on the sofa. We use them daily.

Banned
    oh yeah. i have dhs on the bed. my very first one on the couch

I use my quilts and I hope the people I've given quilts to use them & use them hard! I do have quilts that aren't being used though... mostly these are display quilts in my studio so new customers can see some of my longarm quilting up close & personal.

My goal is to have a quilt for each season for both beds in my home, several lap quilts 4 snuggle'n on the couch (I get bored of look'n at the same ones all the time) and several 'floor' quilts for the grand kids to play on (save me from vacuum'n every day lol)

All the other quilts I make are gifts for family & friends and various charity quilts.

When I run out of all these type of quilts, I guess I'll have to start sell'n them! lolol

Happy to hear that all of you use your quilts, too. I enjoy the making of quilts. Therefore, I use mine. Also, many are given away. My goal is to make one donation (charity) quilt a month. Last year, I made more than my goal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast