Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 AM

After hand quilting my first three quilts I figured out how to use my machine for quilting. After approx. 60 quilts I've gotten pretty good at if I do say so, smile. I've done a couple king and a few queen but mostly full, twin and lap or baby quilts. Mostly in the ditch quilting but now I'm experimenting with free motion. So far so good. Doing my own quilting I can proudly say I "made this quilt myself".
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM

I quilted on my sewing machine for years and loved it,however I just perched a long arm last year and I'm still learning on it,yes they are expensive but it came my time to finally get one. When I quilted on my reg. machine I did a lot of "free motion" by just dropping the feed dog and then just practicing a lot,and I always practiced for at least 15 minutes before I went to quilt or wall hanging. I know you can do it,I taught myself by just listening to others how they did it and reading info. on it. You have to keep folding your fabric and doing small sections at a time. I say just "go for it",you will be amazed at the results. I started with just "stitching in the ditch". Good Luck :)

Patti
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 AM

I do, I use my Janome 6600 on my pennywinkle frame. Before a friend gave me the frame, I did fmq on the same machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 AM

I quilt all my own quilts on my Elna 7300. Last one I did was a king size 109" square. It kinda dicey in the center, but it can be done. The quilt is on my avatar.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 AM

I have two machines, both of which I use to quilt. My original machine is an old manual White with feed dogs that don't drop. I cover them with a business card and can do "some" fmq. I have done quilts as large as king on this one. My second machine is a computerized brother and this is the machine I now use most. It has a speed control and foot free motor, so quilting is quite easy on this machine. I just finished an 85x85 on this machine. It takes a lot of practice to fmq and I haven't mastered it by a long shot, but it gets easier and you get better as you go along....it can be done and nicely on your domestic sewing machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Yes I use my trusty Viking Lily for my machine quilting (mainly free motion). I've done all sizes of quilts with it. Sometimes it feels like I'm wrestling with a bear, LOL, but my regular machine gets the job done!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 AM

I machine quilt with my Viking Megaquilter. I have it set in a table, not on a frame. I learned to mq on my first Viking and a Pfaff with good results. But the larger arm space of the Megaquilter makes all the difference. :)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 AM

I hand quilt mostly, but I do have a Janome that I love and will be trying to do some baby quilts with it.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 AM

I use my Kenmore
Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 AM

I use my Bernina with stitch regulator. I bought this one because I wanted to be able to FMQ with my regular machine. Queen is the largest I've done. I need lots of practice.