Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to measure for a quilt? >

How to measure for a quilt?

How to measure for a quilt?

Old 01-09-2021, 12:05 PM

Default How to measure for a quilt?

I do know how to measure for a quilt, but I have a question related to the process. My grandchild has an IKEA bed that started out as a crib, and converts to a 3-sided bed, then a toddler (2-sided)bed. At this moment it is in the 3-sided stage & I'm making a quilt for it that will also work during the 2-sided phase.
How do I measure for the drop so that the quilt will fit the bed now & later on when it is again converted? All the bed sizes are the same (twin size).

TIA for all your help!
Old 01-09-2021, 01:40 PM
mkc

Where are you planning to "stuff" the extra drop needed until the bed side(s) are removed?

That extra drop either needs to be able to be tucked between the mattress and the sides or it will be puddled on top of the bed
Old 01-09-2021, 01:42 PM

If all of the mattress sizes are twin, I'd make it a twin-sized quilt. Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

I personally like a drop to come down to at least the bottom edge of the mattress on a twin. I prefer kings to be even longer, because you usually have 2 lumps (humans) who draw the quilt up. There's nothing worse than a quilt that doesn't quite cover everything and you wake up with an ice-cold flank in the middle of the night. 😉
Old 01-09-2021, 04:07 PM

I'm a little confused by the question. The mattress should be the same size when you remove the sides, right? Then I'd make it to fit the mattress.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Where are you planning to "stuff" the extra drop needed until the bed side(s) are removed?

That extra drop either needs to be able to be tucked between the mattress and the sides or it will be puddled on top of the bed
I understand what you are saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the drop for the 3-sided configuration should be longer so that when the side is removed, the original drop would then be evened out. Is that faulty thinking?
Old 01-09-2021, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If all of the mattress sizes are twin, I'd make it a twin-sized quilt. Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

I personally like a drop to come down to at least the bottom edge of the mattress on a twin. I prefer kings to be even longer, because you usually have 2 lumps (humans) who draw the quilt up. There's nothing worse than a quilt that doesn't quite cover everything and you wake up with an ice-cold flank in the middle of the night. 😉
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't want a cold flank, either.

Last edited by dsch; 01-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm a little confused by the question. The mattress should be the same size when you remove the sides, right? Then I'd make it to fit the mattress.
cashs_mom, Thanks for your thoughts. I'm a little confused by everything! Once I include the drop, however long it may be, how does the drop fit when it can only hang off 1 side of the bed now, but will have another side from which to hang when the other side of the bed is removed?
Old 01-09-2021, 07:13 PM

Most of the folks I know make the quilt big enough for the final twin bed size, with whatever overhang you will want at that time. For now, you tuck the inside part under the mattress so the quilt stays on the bed. If you don't put borders, it won't be so obvious that you may be letting it hang longer on the front now. After the back side of the bed is removed and you have a true twin, you just center the quilt on the bed.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:13 AM

Ok after reading Barb's response, now I understand your question. And I agree with Barb. Just tuck that side of the quilt under the mattress for now. It's the same thing you would do on a regular bed (king or queen) if you had a foot board.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:45 AM

If it is a twin bed then I would make it a twin or full size quilt depending on how much overhang you want on a quilt. When my kids were younger and had twin beds I made them full size quilt. It worked very well. So I did the same thing for my grand children.