Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much can you NOT spend? >

How much can you NOT spend?

How much can you NOT spend?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I've never thought about trying to make a quilt the cheapest I can and don't want to have to think it.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:03 PM

I tend to buy my fabrics online when they are having sales. Thought their prices are already lower than local fabric stores, I still wait for a good sale and then purchase 2-5 yds of each. Same goes for the quilting thread. As all my quilts are made as gifts I try to find the lowest prices without lowering the quality of the fabrics. I try to use up scraps from the previous quilt into the next quilt. Right now I'm looking to make placemats using fruit and veggie fabrics I acquired for a Brick & Stone quilt I have on the frame right now. Its fabric I doubt if I'll ever use it again so making placemats for someone who loves to garden would fit the bill in my book.

So far from my scrap bucket I've made up 6 oversized lap quilts 60 x 75 so I call these my freebie quilts. One quilt that's waiting to be quilt has a backing made up of all the fabric leftovers and most of the quilt top came from my stash too.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:11 PM

I just retired and I really want to downside my stash. I have several tops and lots of backing fabric from a great sale last year. I also have some batting in the basement. If I need more I will I will look for coupons from Joann's. I have a couple more to make but I think I have enough fabric to do those. Dh and I have decided th at this is the last Christmas we are giving nieces and nephews presents.