Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much to charge??? >

How much to charge???

How much to charge???

Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

How much to charge is such an objective thing, unless you're actually quilting as a business. For many of my friends I would make the quilt for free, from my stash, just to have the pleasure of giving them the gift. Or I might ask that they pay for the materials (if I could not make it from my stash) and would donate my labor. First you should decide whether you really want to make this quilt, and whether it's for the pleasure and experience of making it or for the income you might produce. Either way is perfectly acceptable. If it's for the income, then decide how much your time is worth and charge on that basis. I know there are rules about doubling or tripling the cost of the fabric, but I wouldn't use that formula unless you use a set dollar/yard for the materials, for instance $12/yard. (Why should the customer pay less for your time, just because you found the fabrics on sale or used cheaper quality fabrics?)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 AM

Here's board link that might help. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125917-1.htm gives you a break down of costs and labor . If you WANT to charge what your skills are worth, this hekps back that up to friends who want quilts, and MAY be trying to get one cheap.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I don't have any idea on that, but I suspect a deal breaker would be to take them, one by one, to a quilt shop and tell them to look at and price any fabric they want or like. And to add backing and batting prices..if they don't faint at that final cost (take a calculator) then you can set down with them and talk prices for your time. Then let them look at the total all written down in black and white..might shock them speechless at your actually wanting money for "keeping busy"!!! I've actually heard someone say that about the art of quilting..
This is what I would do too. Have them pick out their own materials and pay for the materials. Ask them to pick a pattern. Then you take them and make a quilt. I would charge according to my time. The more complicated the pattern the more time put in. If your sister is doing the quilting then add that in. Give them an estimate so there is no haggling or sticker shock :shock: after the quilt is made. Romana is right. Once they see how much it will cost, they may not want it done and once you see how much they are not willing to pay, you may not want to do it.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
There has been a lot of postings in the past about this subject. Do a bit of searching. There was some good answers and advice.
I agree - do a bit more searching of this topic on this chat board. There's way too much to even summarize here, a lot of wise advise, and good business savvy.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Hi everyone, I did read some of the other threads on this board. I decided to give these ladies a rough estimate of $300-$400. Now it lies with their husbands. Haha, they (the gals) were quite suprised by the price, so they'll use their hubbies as their out.

Doesn't matter, I have several other projects to keep me busy!