Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much do I dislike make quilt backs?

How much do I dislike make quilt backs?

So much that I have affectively avoided it for 2 days by sewing other small things hotpads and coasters. Today I managed to avoid it by cleaning my sewing room.......yep I went there I cleaned the whole room just to avoid piecing the queen size back to a quilt I need to get turned into the LA this week. I think I'll go clean my kitchen now.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    Yes, quilt backs can be the pits, but just think, you're almost done!Go for it!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    sounds like you need to treat yourself to wide quilt backs. I would check with your long arm quilter. Many have wide quilt backs on hand.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

We must be cousins.

Isn't it amazing how clean our houses can get when we don't want to do the next step in our sewing projects! When I finally bite the bullet and just do whatever I'm avoiding it amazes me how simple the project really is!

I see you have found your "things I would rather do list". I know I really don't want to do something when I dust instead of doing that thing I am avoiding.... and I really ... really dislike dusting.

Like you, I do not like making quilt backings. I have to make one tomorrow. Wish I were more like you. My sewing room really needs cleaning. I'll make the backing and then clean my sewing room which I do at the end of each project. I don't know which will be worse, making the backing or cleaning up my sewing room which looks like Eleanor Burns has invaded it with her scraps.

Blog Entries
    There are so many wonderful wide backing fabrics available now often less expensive than purchasing regular yardage why are you putting yourself through something you dislike so much?
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Just sew a Ten inch square row together and add your large pieces to it. sew into a tube/cut...then your done.

Good to know I am in good company :-). I do use the wide quilt backs when I can find something that works with the top. I know there is always muslin but I didn't want it for this quilt it's all batiks it was just to stark. So my sewing room is clean kitchen is clean and I'm part way through the backing, one of the reason I hate them is having to get on the floor to measure the long pieces. It's just awkward and the same reason why my sewing room gets cleaned before I do borders too.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I hate piecing backings AND making/sewing on borders.
    Lori

Shoot honey, go to Backsidefabrics.com They are absolutely fantastic--price, service and they will even send you samples. No I am not associated with the company in any way--just a very satisfied customer. I will never again sew together 40 something wide strips to make a queen (or larger) quilt back.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Have you seen any of the beautiful wide backs that are batiks? Some really gorgeous ones!

sure they're boring but quilt backings are such an easy way to destash efficiently!

Blog Entries
    when would you like to come help me clean my sewing room????
    I told the cleaniing lady she didn't have to go in there, wish she would.

isn't pcing a backing a bear of a job?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    Just sew a Ten inch square row together and add your large pieces to it. sew into a tube/cut...then your done.
    I've never made a backing Would you explain your process about the tube/cut? thank you
    Molly O

When ever I get a coupon at Joann's that I don't need for something else I purchase enough backing fabric for a quilt. Even if I don't use it as a backing it's a great way to get lots of yardage at the best price. As a hand quilter I hate having to quilt through yet another seam. It also provides me with borders that don't need piecing to get the needed length.

Get on the 15 freeway and come north about 20 miles to my place. I have at least 3 charity tops that need the backings sewn. I can't afford the wide backing so I am always forced to piece my backing using leftovers from the quilt top. I use to enjoy the challenge but my mind is NOT as sharp as it once was. Just haven't been in the mood to tackle the backings. So you are NOT alone !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Fabric.com often has some great batik wide backings.

I don't mind doing backings too much. I don't like the basting step. I used to hate/fear binding but I'm getting over it, now I just don't like the hassle of trying to get a decent sandwich built!

Don't get on the floor to measure long pieces......fold in half and x2 or 4 or how many folds you make.......

I don't mind making the backings. It's the sandwiching part I hate. I have a nice table I bought at Sams to use, but I have so much trouble getting all the layers to line up straight. It is a little easier since I spray baste now. If we lived closer together, I would make your backings and you could sandwich my quilts! ;-)

I just use the widest, decent muslin I can get, if I have to piece, then I do so, but I usually don't have to.

Here is how I piece a quilt back using regular width fabric:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love my life!

I dislike it so much that I just choose from the narrow selection of plain colored extra-wide backing fabric at the LQS.

I'm not cheap when it comes to backing fabric. I want my quilt backing fabric to be a wow, I love that fabric! I buy yardage of fabric just for a backing for one quilt when I plan my quilt. The top may be made from scraps but the back will be new.
    I love my life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast