Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how much do you charge for potato bags???

Blog Entries
    A co worker told me she wants to buy a potato bag from me. i did tell her that the material was expensive to buy and i had started putting a plain material inside to cut down on costs. she has one already and loves it - she bought it at a craft show (not from me) now she knows i am making them and wants to buy one. what do i charge?? i don't feel i am that good to charge anyone but i don't want to give it away. i also let her know that i did make them with 100% cotton material, batting and thread.

Never heard of potato bags... but it makes sense to take them out of the plastic bags that make them rot.

You should charge what you spend in materials, PLUS an hourly wage for however long it takes you to make it. I wouldn't sew for hire for any less than $10 an hour, but the price is up to you to determine. Don't sell yourself short.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    You should charge what you spend in materials, PLUS an hourly wage for however long it takes you to make it. I wouldn't sew for hire for any less than $10 an hour, but the price is up to you to determine. Don't sell yourself short.
    I agree with this, and I only want to add, don't feel bad about charging for your hard work. It's often a problem with us women. I recently had to tell my client that I was raising my rate since I was working more hours, and I actually felt ill the whole day before. If you tell your friend your price, it's then up to them to purchase it or not. If you don't want to put your friend on the spot, you can always tell them the price and then say, "think about it and get back to me."

I hope you let us know how it works out.

Blog Entries
    Never heard of potato bags... but it makes sense to take them out of the plastic bags that make them rot.

these are bags made out of cotton for cooking potatoes in the microwave. everything has to be 100% cotton - material, batting, thread. you can also use it for corn or dinner rolls

Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03
    A co worker told me she wants to buy a potato bag from me. i did tell her that the material was expensive to buy and i had started putting a plain material inside to cut down on costs. she has one already and loves it - she bought it at a craft show (not from me) now she knows i am making them and wants to buy one. what do i charge?? i don't feel i am that good to charge anyone but i don't want to give it away. i also let her know that i did make them with 100% cotton material, batting and thread.
    I sell mine for $10.00.

I sold some for $10 also - I was very surprised at how much interest people had in them. No one balked at the price tag.

Blog Entries
    what's a potato bag?

I saw an ad recently for them, showing both as potato bakers and tortilla warmers!

I have thought of making one but never have. Not sure is my batting is 100% cotton. $10 definitely sounds very reasonable.

Would bamboo batting work also or not in the microwave?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Always 100% cotton fabric, batting, and thread

Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03

these are bags made out of cotton for cooking potatoes in the microwave. everything has to be 100% cotton - material, batting, thread. you can also use it for corn or dinner rolls
    How big are they?

Blog Entries
    mine turned out roughly 9 in square (give or take) lol
    i got the warm tater batting from fabric depot for $2 yard( it is 22 inches wide) the pattern came free with the batting. i have seen some round ones but after struggling with round potholders i decided to go with the square shape. so much easier for me! also i got the potato fabric from a lqs - it was around $10 yard

I sell mine for $5 each, and they sell like hotcakes at craft fairs on Long island. My friend gets $6 and she's in Delaware. I have seen some at a fabric store in Lancaster, PA, charging $16!

So whatever you think the economic condition is in Ohio for such an item...go for it! Dealing with friends is always tricky; money has a way of souring relationships. Don't sell yourself short!

Blog Entries
    The potato bags I have made measure about 12 inches by 22 inches. They have a 2 inch flap at the top rather like an envelope. I use scrap fabrics-usually 2 different coordinating fabrics and scrap cotton batting. I understand that cotton is preferable as polester could get hot enough from the cooking potato the the poly could melt and cause combustion. I sell mine for $5 at our Guild's quilt show and bazaar. I have seen them marked at gift shops for $15.00. They sell like hotcakes.

Blog Entries
    Yes, have fun selling them, as they sell like hotcakes!

I've seen them in a few places for $10. That's reasonable. I wouldn't sell them for less. Your time is worth something plus the cost of the fabric.

I've been wanting to make some too.

I purchased mine at a craft fair for $10

I work at a Thrift Shop and we have a lady makes and donates them. Sells for 4.95.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linken
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Always 100% cotton fabric, batting, and thread
    Because if you don't use 100% cotton everything, they can start on fire. I charged $6.99, but was going to up it this year. I pay wholesale for fabric.

Use mine all the time, Was a very nice gift.

I've never made one, but my aunt had given me one. I've never used it because I don't cook my potatoes in the microwave.

I like the idea of using it for tortilla and rolls.

QKO
    If you've never seen one, here's a picture of a popular pattern for them -- for fabric requirements click on "enlarge" then scroll to the second picture.

http://www.quilt-kits-online.com/pro...p?prod=LEP9309

There is also a batting made specifically for these now by Warm Company, called "Warm Tater."

Blog Entries
    LQS near where I live sells them for $5, owner says she has to make up a new batch just about every week.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    $5.00 for the kit, $8.00 finished!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast