Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much Do You Spend? >

How Much Do You Spend?

How Much Do You Spend?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by smcbride
What kind of material does one buy to spend $300 or more on a quilt?
I found that my $350 quilt cost so much because I had found the fabric on eQuilter for $9.50 yd. & just had to try it with a Stack & Whack pattern. .... Order more. Cha ching! Oops, then it's backing time. Then it took intricate long arm quilting & that was very pricey. Next thing I knew the cost was up there. The finished pc. was worth it though. You know I'll never give that one away. The matching pillow topper (not shams) really was a great touch.

Oh Pat, please post a photo. I would love to see it!!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I found that my $350 quilt cost so much because I had found the fabric on eQuilter for $9.50 yd. & just had to try it with a Stack & Whack pattern. .... Order more. Cha ching! Oops, then it's backing time. Then it took intricate long arm quilting & that was very pricey. Next thing I knew the cost was up there. The finished pc. was worth it though. You know I'll never give that one away. The matching pillow topper (not shams) really was a great touch.
Here is a pix of the quilt you're asking about. I've heard that you shouldn't fold a bed quilt back then up over the pillows so this topper works great. The brown fabric on the border is the original fabric used for the medallions. You never know how they're going to turn out although I do try to position the template to get the look I want.
I had a pc. of it left so I made a runner.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-83612.jpe  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Here is a pix of the quilt you're asking about. I've heard that you shouldn't fold a bed quilt back then up over the pillows so this topper works great. The brown fabric on the border is the original fabric used for the medallions. You never know how they're going to turn out although I do try to position the template to get the look I want.

When it's too warm to use the quilt, I fold it in thirds & lay it across the foot of the bed just so I can still see & enjoy it. I still put the pillow topper on the pillows.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM

This quilt is incredible! It is stunning! I love it!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin mimi

I sent a msg. with a photo but it doesn't look like it came through. If I'm duplicating it, please forgive me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-83775.jpe  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM

Scissor Queen...I love it - to "help support the LQS"... :D :D
Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin mimi

I sent a msg. with a photo but it doesn't look like it came through. If I'm duplicating it, please forgive me.
Holy cow, I can't believe my msg. & pix came through 3 times. I'm so sorry, everybody. I couldn't tell if it went out the first time so I'm sure you've overdosed on it. I love the quilt though. Those are so much fun to make.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I'm just curious...on average, how much do you spend when making a quilt? I think I invested about $30.00 in my first quilt. I haven't purchased binding or backing so the cost is definitely going up. Hopefully, I can really get my monies worth w/my JoAnn's 50% off coupon.

I know there's a lot of variables, but just wondering.
WOW - just went with my friend Lori to"Wilsons - Your Favorite Quilt Shop" in Hagerstown MD today, and dropped over $600. Of course, I bought a couple of machine embroidery designs and those were pricey......Good thing I do not live closer to that place!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I'm just curious...on average, how much do you spend when making a quilt? I think I invested about $30.00 in my first quilt. I haven't purchased binding or backing so the cost is definitely going up. Hopefully, I can really get my monies worth w/my JoAnn's 50% off coupon.

I know there's a lot of variables, but just wondering.
I happen to be lucky enough to have a very good stash an I havent got a whole bunch of money in my stash.Cause I got a whole bunch of it at thrift store an yard sales.an a whole lot of it was bought in Indiana before I moved to Arkansas.an I have had a lot of it given to me by family an best friends.Who know that I quilt give me fabrics.Or sale me at a real good price to.
Plus I get material when I see it as long as I like it.I don't have much in yellowse though so I really look for yellows right now.An I'm working on a very small bugit.So I have to strech
every penny I get an let them little piggys hollar an get a whole lot more for my money.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 AM
tmg

I don't even figure it up. My husband will ask and I don,t want him to know because I have given all the ones I've made so far away.