Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much fabric do you have in your stash?

Blog Entries
    How much fabric do you have in your stash?

Do you have it all organized by colors, sizes etc.

Do you save your scraps?

Blog Entries
    I don't have very much fabric right now but trying to build up my stash.

I have been blessed with friends giving me some scraps. I am making paper pieced scrappy quilt. Also practicing on making blocks!

My husband has been unemployed since July 2009 so things have been rough for us. He just got a job so will be nice to have $ and Health Insurance again.

I'm not quite sure how many total yards of fabric I have. I moved in September, and it's still in boxes. I know I have at least 150 yards. It's not sorted by color, but I do have the holiday stuff together and the batiks together. Also, if I had a quilt planned, those fabrics are bagged together with the pattern.

Blog Entries
    Wow, you have lots of fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Sunrises
    I'm not quite sure how many total yards of fabric I have. I moved in September, and it's still in boxes. I know I have at least 150 yards. It's not sorted by color, but I do have the holiday stuff together and the batiks together. Also, if I had a quilt planned, those fabrics are bagged together with the pattern.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh Karen, I am so glad hubby got a job, as for my stach I think I am close to have enough to make a queen size quilt, and that is because the wonderful ladies on the board have sent me some so I could learn to quilt. I hope all goes well. Penny

Blog Entries
    According to my husband.....to [email protected]#%^ much. Let's just say I know I could make several quilts (king size probably) if I just had batting. LOL.

Just enough to annoy my husband and make me happy!

Let's see......6 totes and 3 of those plastic drawers on wheels full......lol!

Blog Entries
    TONS!!! organized? I try...have shelves, drawers, closets, totes...yes, I save scraps, I also share 100's of pounds of scraps...i keep a basket and 2 boxes under my cutting table, (right next to a trash bag) when i am cutting strips less than 1" wide go into the basket (for me to use for wrapped-clothesline projects, or rug hooking) one box i toss scraps into that i think are big enough or fabric that i will put to use for applique, the other one i toss in the stuff i think whom ever i am sharing with this time will like receiving. and anything too fray'd or too small actually goes into the trash bag.

Too much to figure out (because it's in 3 different rooms), it's very loosely organized (and I emphasize loosely), and I have a hard time throwing away any but the tiniest scraps. I hear about putting the scraps in a pillow case and making beds for the animal shelter, so pretty much save everything. I finally saw a selvege quilt, so now I might have to start saving them, too.

Not as much as some, but enough to have DH shake his head!!!

My husband has been unemployed since July 2009 so things have been rough for us. He just got a job so will be nice to have $ and Health Insurance again.[/quote]

Glad to hear that your DH has found something!!! Hopefully, life will be much easier now!! :-D Congrats!!

I have 17 large plastic storage bins full. Plus bolts of fabric for backing, large garbage bag full of polyester batting (I just doesn't seem to go down :roll: ), plus bags of warm & natural/white.

DH is wondering why I still buy fabric!! States, "Are you telling me that you don't have something in all those containers that you can use!" Oh well, here comes #18. He'll never understand!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALOT!!! But can you ever have "enough" fabric? Mine is NOT organized enough! I have holidays, 30's, civil war, red/white & blue/white, etc in totes ready to put on shelves if I can ever get the energy to "organize" my sewing studio! Other than that, fabrics are in other totes, drawer units, bags, etc. I do save my scraps for "someday" projects or to share. Right now I'm trying to build up my 30's stash and add to my civil war stash.

Mary B MS

LOL more than i will ever use in this lifetime, but i am trying :) I save scraps too

Too much, according to my husband. LOL I have 7 of the pattern cabinets from fabric stores, all full of fabrics, folded, sorted by background colors. I also have 24 of the big plastic totes, 55 qt., and larger, all full of fabrics, non cottons, sorted by type of fabrics, such as fleece, etc. and about 6 of the big black garbage bags full of scraps. I've found some help in making scrappy quilts and we're going to donate to the local fire department and the local senior nursing home.

I'm going to send my DH to your house to take a peeky!! Maybe then he would understand! :lol:

Lots, but not enough. I sort by colour, unless something is very theme specific (I have a farming pile and a music pile, two of my loves, and of course a Christmas pile)

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    How much fabric do you have in your stash?

Do you have it all organized by colors, sizes etc.

Do you save your scraps?
    I would say, just in a rough estimate, that I have between 130 and 150 yards. When I started buying two yards of any one thing, I put them in a group by themselves. The older stuff is organized by catagories, Christmas, Halloween, dogs, etc.

I do save scraps but I don't keep anything under 2 inches. I am sure I would never use it.

Blog Entries
    According to DH....just enough to make me happy... :lol:

I probably have around a thousand yards of fabric. I actually counted how many yards were in my cupboard when I moved time before last. That was almost 5 years ago and I have probably more than doubled it since then. I've used a lot since then too but it seems to come in faster than it goes out.

I have mine sorted by length of the cut.

I had one of those three drawer carts crammed full of scraps. I moved most of it into a single giant drawer in my new cutting center. It's not really new new, it's an ancient metal dresser I'm putting a top on to hold a cutting mat.

I have sooo much fabric I could open up a store!!! It is all in bins sorted by color and or theme on a shelf along with everything else that goes along with it. I have two big boxes just with scaps for applique. I have two big bins filled with velvet. and not to mention roll bolts of upolstry (sp) fabric. leather you name it. I'm addicted

Oh I forgot to mention my craft room!! Now that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abonda
    I have sooo much fabric I could open up a store!!! It is all in bins sorted by color and or theme on a shelf along with everything else that goes along with it. I have two big boxes just with scaps for applique. I have two big bins filled with velvet. and not to mention roll bolts of upolstry (sp) fabric. leather you name it. I'm addicted

Oh I forgot to mention my craft room!! Now that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That sounds like my sister. She has so much that sometimes I go "shopping" at her house. Convenient too. She's right next door.

(How are things in Attleboro?)

Not bad I'm at work and suppose to be working. Just can't get enough of the quilting gossip! Weather is so nice here 80 today spring spring spring HEY Who about you?

Enough fabric to fill metal shelves six feet tall and four feet wide. Here's one corner, along with "Mr. Helpful"!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not telling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast